• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 install always crashing: memory to blame?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phoenix '971

Registered
I am trying to install Windows 2000 on a new computer I just put together. However, in the 2nd stage of the installation which features the GUI where it detects hardware, you type in the serial number, and so on, the system will crash in lsass.exe, or BSOD, or stop responding. It's usually in a different place each time. I've replaced almost every component I could think of to try to fix this:

- Two different PSUs (Enermax 420W Industrial, ThermalTake 430W)
- Two different hard drives (original Raptor, 15K SCSI)
- Three different CD-ROM drives
- Two different OS installation discs (even tried to install Server '03, which failed)
- Two different video cards (one PCI, one PCIe)
- Two different motherboards (Gigabyte DS3, Asus P5B), both support the E4300 at their respective BIOS revision levels.

The only things that remained the same are the memory and CPU. I am running an E4300 with the stock cooler. On the P5B, I get a reading in the BIOS of 35C-37C.

As far as the memory goes, I have two sticks of:
Kingston Value RAM, 1GB PC2-5300 CL5
KVR667D2N5/1G
I've tried lowering the speed to 533, down from 667, using one of two sticks, and both at the same time. Nothing seems to be working.

At this stage, is it the memory or CPU?

you may want to run memtest86 from a floppy or cd.if the mems borked it should yell you.do you have access to a dif set of memory to test?

-Yeah, run memtest86 on both sticks.
-Try different memory slots.
-Try is new HDD cables, try one IDE channel if using two.
-Disable all extra motherboard options, ie serial ports, parallel, sound, etc.
-I also assume no OC, right?

Oddly enough, it was the CPU that was causing problems. :confused:
I replaced it with a Pentium D 805 that I had from my old system and the problems went away. That said, I have changed the memory to OCZ Value Pro (DDR2 667).

Back