• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth goin to 4Gb??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

I have 2Gb of Corsair dominator 8888s in my system right now. Running at 800Mhz at 3.3.3.10. T2

Is it worth adding another 2Gb of slower ram Corsair XMS2 Pro 6400 at 4.4.4.12.

Basically windows xp will only use about 3.2 Gb and I will now be running all four sticks at a crappy 4.4.4.12 T2 times...

Is it worth the trouble of putting my old XMS2 Pro sticks into my system???

Try it out and see if there is any perf increase. But I dont think there is much point in going to 4gb unless you have a 64 bit os so u can use it all.

If your running Vista maybe you'd see some sort of gains, however even in 64bit XP i can assure your real-world performance will show no impact, infact it may even be slower given that more ram usually lowers stability and might hinder any overclocks your already running. I'd stick with lower latencies and higher overclocks. It also depends on the applications your running, 4gigs of ram would be exception under intensive encoding/decoding operations and other video editing/graphic rendering. As far as standard OS and gaming goes it's a bust.

I am also wondering for the answers on this topic. It seems odd to me that 2 gig sticks are now suddenly appearing on the market (coincidentally with many rebates for 1g sticks we are seeing now) after Vista's launch. I'm wondering if 2g just won't work well in Vista and maybe microsoft is trying to push for 2g sticks for it's OS.
When I played one game on vista I had noticed that I my memory usage was hovering at 1.5 - 1.7 gigs. Maybe DX10 games will surpass this greatly. I am hoping this is not the case.

If you can run the 4gb at the same speed and timings as your 2gb then there is nothing at all to lose and quite a bit to gain. Your possible 3.2gb of RAM vs 2gb is a substantial increase. Install it and test it, nothing to lose.

I can remember this discussion back when it was 1GB vs 2GB, lol.

If you plan on doin a major OC job, I would go with 2GB. Vista is a resource hog and although it runs perfectly smooth with 2GB of ram, I have yet to test a DX10 game out. That would be the true test.

with mem prices the way they are i really cant think of a reason not to bone up for blisters and dx10.altho i would match those 8888 d9s with more of the same.honestly can anyone remember when prices were this low?ever?

maxfly said:
with mem prices the way they are i really cant think of a reason not to bone up for blisters and dx10.altho i would match those 8888 d9s with more of the same.honestly can anyone remember when prices were this low?ever?

No, but I can remember when they were MUCH higher.

Grab some stuff that works with your boards capabilities, store the extra stuff in protective bags, and you're ready for a Vista jump or whatever in the future.

Back