• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling chipset mosfets question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mavkam

Im wondering if throwing some water blocks on the northbridge, southbridge and mosfets will make a difference on my Abit AN8-32X. I'm Orthos stable @ 2.9 with my Opty 180. I can get it to 3.0 but I need to go 1.6v to get there. When running orthos @ 3.0 My CPU temps are fine, but the mosfets get ridiculously hot . Are mosfet waterblocks any good? Can they actually cool something that gets over 100c?

mavkam said:
Im wondering if throwing some water blocks on the northbridge, southbridge and mosfets will make a difference on my Abit AN8-32X. I'm Orthos stable @ 2.9 with my Opty 180. I can get it to 3.0 but I need to go 1.6v to get there. When running orthos @ 3.0 My CPU temps are fine, but the mosfets get ridiculously hot . Are mosfet waterblocks any good? Can they actually cool something that gets over 100c?
I don't know if it would help you. Is your CPU in the same loop? Either way it would bring down the temps of the MOSFETS, but I would suggest air cooling them first. I have the stock heatsink on my motherboard for my MOSFETS and they stay around 40c with little airflow in that area of the case.

Short answer:
I don't think it is worth it, air cool them for about the same result (and you don't bring down the efficiency of your loop).

I guess I could run them on a seperate loop. I have a high output 120 blowing right on them, but once I set the cpu to 1.6v it doesnt seem to matter.

Do you have any kind of cooling for the mosfets now?

A downside to watercooling means no air around the mosfets and power area. I would try putting a small fan blowing over that area first before adding a second loop. A quiet 80cm fan may be enough to keep the area cool.

mavkam said:
I guess I could run them on a seperate loop. I have a high output 120 blowing right on them, but once I set the cpu to 1.6v it doesnt seem to matter.
I would recommend air cooling them. Not worth the second loop...

Sorry didnt see that you had a 120mm blowing on the mosfets..

If thats the case, then I guess you can try WCing them.. I would probably just run the chip at the 2.8 speed instead of adding cooling to them just to get to 3.0..

CGR said:

If thats the case, then I guess you can try WCing them.. I would probably just run the chip at the 2.8 speed instead of adding cooling to them just to get to 3.0..
What if the MOSFETS were bare? Heatsink would DEFINITELY help.

OP: Are the MOSFETS bare?

theres a heatsink on them right now. is the problem with water cooling them the fact that they run so hot and that even a seperate loop couldnt keep up with those kind of temps?

CGR said:

ya the 2.9 to 3.0 isnt a big deal, but getting rid of that pesky 2 would look so good. lol

Could always try to get another 180 chip that can reach 3.0 with less volts..

The problem is the amount of volts your current chip requires.

Out of curiosity what temp are your mosfets reaching?

the chip is good @ 3.0 from what i can tell. mosfets hit 110c and i stopped orthos.

CGR said:
Could always try to get another 180 chip that can reach 3.0 with less volts..

The problem is the amount of volts your current chip requires.

Out of curiosity what temp are your mosfets reaching?

whare are you goin to get the water block for the moffset from? Does swiftec make any moffset water blocks?

Do moffset water blocks suport 1/2" ID tubes?

alphacool heattrap is one I've seen for my motherboard. Theres a guy on ebay with a bunch of them.

I dont see any point in water cooling them, a custom heatsink will work much better.

Cut up an old heatsink, preferably something P4 or later, and use that along with an 80mm fan. Massive heatsinks are the answer in this scenario :D

And I know what you mean about getting rid of that pesky 2 :p

Back