• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Readyboost - didnt know where to put this thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingaaar

Hiya all,

I didnt know where to put this thread so here you go! Im guessing this is the right forum!

I had a couple of cheap pen drives sitting around. I benched them in Sisoft Sandra and sure enough they are poor on the performance side.

However I tried to use them as readyboost following the advice that you could edit the registry in Vista and so on as per the link below.

http://www.windowsvistamagazine.com...ny-usb-stick-to-readyboost-your-computer.html

Well, this didnt work.

I found something that did eventually work, and despite my pen drive being 16 times slower than the best you can get I DID SEE AN IMPROVEMENT IN PERFORMANCE! So its probably worth giving it a go :)

Simply format you pen drive as NTFS and then enable compression!

Yeah! Its Readyboosted.

Shame Im still not happy with Vista but Ive gone DirectX10 on the graphics card now so Ill have to stick with it.

Shame :(

Anyhow, Im guessing that with fast hard drives, 2 gigs of fast pen drive (readyboost), Vista will "learn" and "superfetch" your most popular programs to the pen drives leaving your main memory free to do what it was designed to (run games?).

I see now - All becomes clear. So we dont need 4 gig of ram after all.....

Comments???

G

Last edited:
you should only see a performance increase if your thumb drive is faster then accessing your hard drive (if its slower then you should actually see a decrees) thats why your supposed to run a faster thumb drive, it puts page file and prefetch stuff on it.

saw a test somewhere on this, basically if you had less then 2GB of ram in your computer it would help performance alot in some cases but if you had 2GB of ram already they did not see much of an increase in performance at all

jmorgan said:
you should only see a performance increase if your thumb drive is faster then accessing your hard drive (if its slower then you should actually see a decrees) thats why your supposed to run a faster thumb drive, it puts page file and prefetch stuff on it
That is not necessarily true. What if you were moving data between two HDD (thus capping out the HDD) and you wanted to start a program? It would certainly help to have it stored on different media.

Back