• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU and Northbridge block or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redham

Registered
Now that I've got all the parts tricklingin and planning on a weekend to install it, I'm wondering if I should bother with a GPU and Northbridge blocks.

My major reason to moving to WC is quietness. As far as OCing, I'm problably going to settle on anything above 3.3g or so. The MB is a EVGA which suggest you use a mini fan to cool the chipset if you OC but I concerned about the adding more noise.

As for the PNY 8800GTS, I'm not planning to OC the vido card but the fan from the card is also a concern.

Components:
EVGA A1 MB
E6600
PNY 8800GTS
Danger Den Black Ice Xtreme III Radiator (Triple 120s)
Swiftech Apogee GT Block
Swiftech MCP655
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO™ Reservoir
-------------------------

Will the addded expense of the two blocks (Not cheap either) quiet my system that much or provide a jump in benefit in OCing the chip/mb?

Suggestions on GPU and chipset blocks are welcome also for my config.

Thanks

I'd definitely WC the GPU. The Northbridge is questionable in terms of a higher FSB overclock as you have an E6600. It will be quieter however.

The NB water block is about the same price as some of the aftermarket NB HSF.

The NB water block is not all the restricitve.

The swiftec NB water block I use is tiny and does not inhibit me from setting up SLI

I recently got a waterblock for my GPU and what a difference it made. It's absolutely crushing my old clocks while keeping the temps at a very reasonable place. As far as the NB goes I just stick a fan over the heat sink which seems to be enough.

id go witht he northbridge and be done with it. i got tired of chasing after gpu blocks everytime i replace a vid card. and it seems theres no real "legacy" to gpu blocks like there once was. everytime a new card revision comeout you need new mount hardware or a new block altogether. just got too expensive. NB and cpu blocks rarely change style really. the same block in use a few years back can still be used today.

Back