• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting closer to ambient

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

Loop is D5->coolrad32t->storm for the lazy people who don't wanna look at my sig.

I'm showing figures here with a vcore of 1.55 and OC to 2600 instead of the listed [email protected].

So with a room ambient of 35c I got a load temp of ~48c.
Room temp at 25c, I get a load of ~37c

So it's ~13c above ambient and gets a little better when room temp drops.

I want to get closer is possible. How? Or am I asking too much out of water cooling?

--pak

Last edited:
Well right now my room temp is 21.4c cpu is 301c-32c gpu is 45c inside of the case is 30.5c Parts in my sig. Maybe re-seat the block, or re-apply the thermal paste. Load temps go as high as 41c on the cpu and the gpu hits a high of 49c with room temps as high as 25c.

just edit'd my first post, at 25c my load temps only hit 37c. Originally I stated it hit 47c.

But looking at your performance and specs, ours seem to be working about the same.

Whats your vcore at?

--pak

Well that was a whole other post for me. I do not have a 100% accurate way of monitoring the water temp. Right now the best way I have found was to scratch some of the paint off the end tank and attach a probe from one of my 5.25 displays. I have some TIM and insulated it with foam tape. It reports a difference of 1c between it and case temp.

--pak

Maviryk has it right, don't try to find the CPU / Ambient temp, try to get the air/water temp as close together as possible... with my 2 rads (in sig) the water temp is less than 1 degree above air temp at load. Focus on air/water and not cpu as the CPU will fall in line.

Well do you think my method is good enough? How are you measuring your water temp?

--pak

Ah ok, that method should be good enough.

I think that will be as good as it gets Pak. I measure my water temp the same way. Just make sure the probe is actually making contact with the tank.

If you want cooler CPU temps you'll have to heat cycle the AS5 for it to cure, and then turn up the AC.

Just to verify.. the probe has to be on the end tanks of the rad and not the sides...

13°C above ambient is pretty good. My CPU is usually 35°C above ambient, but then again I have poor radiators, low speed fans, and a GPU block in the loop.

pak said:
Well do you think my method is good enough? How are you measuring your water temp?

--pak
I measure my water temp with a probe in my res... I would NOT assume that the external tank temp = water temp... cant you stick the probe in your tee line or res? It doesnt have to be there forever, just for 20 minutes or so. If you could measure water temps and external tank temps, you could then see if there is any relationship between the 2 that makes sense.

nikhsub1 said:
I measure my water temp with a probe in my res... I would NOT assume that the external tank temp = water temp... cant you stick the probe in your tee line or res? It doesnt have to be there forever, just for 20 minutes or so. If you could measure water temps and external tank temps, you could then see if there is any relationship between the 2 that makes sense.

That was my original plan, but after looking at the probe, I was not 100% sure it was safe to stick it in water. I got one of those 5.25 bay fan controllers that comes with 2 temp probes. Safe to put a probe in water?

--pak

pak said:
That was my original plan, but after looking at the probe, I was not 100% sure it was safe to stick it in water. I got one of those 5.25 bay fan controllers that comes with 2 temp probes. Safe to put a probe in water?

--pak
Yep, safe to put it in the water.... i wouldnt leave it there forever as something must remain open for it to be in there, unless you epoxy it into a tee fitting like so:

waterprobe.jpg

pak said:
just edit'd my first post, at 25c my load temps only hit 37c. Originally I stated it hit 47c.

But looking at your performance and specs, ours seem to be working about the same.

Whats your vcore at?

--pak
1.45v

I thought I was the only dude that used a thermometer its good to see more people usin thermometers...

Generally the water is only about 1 deg hotter than room temp, mabye 2 deg if I turn the fans down and run prime 95.

The more rads you have the better it gets.

Last edited:
I stuck one of my probes in the tline and orthos loaded it up. After 30 min, it stayed with in 1c of the end tank method. So im good on water temp and now I know my end tank method works pretty good.

So, how can I get closer to ambient?

--pak

Why how far is water temp to ambient temp?

I think if you get a bigger better rad it helps, getting bigger better fans also help.

pak said:
I stuck one of my probes in the tline and orthos loaded it up. After 30 min, it stayed with in 1c of the end tank method.

Aha! I love being correct!

Pak,

When I was using a pair of double heatercores, closest I ever got was around +1°C ambient also. If you want sub ambient water temps you'd have to go to either a bong or water chilling.

Back