• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB:DRAM calculation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Over_maher

Registered
Hi all

Im trying to work out on mathematical theory at the moment the best ratio for my fsb to dram. im looking to get an e6600 and overclock to around 3.4ghz, ive already installed 2gb ocz PC2-8500 sli edition. (evga 680i board)

So if i want the best possible ratio as close to 1:1 what would be a better calculation having something like 425*8 = 3.4ghz or something higher with a lower multiplier ?

How exactly do you work out the best ratio ?

Any help is always most appreciated.

You should be able to manually set the FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1. I'm not sure how to on your mobo, but I would assume someone around here will tell you.

Multiplier X FSB is different than the FSB:RAM ratio.

Generally speaking, higher FSB and lower CPU multiplier trump lower FSB and higher CPU multiplier.

When it comes to the FSB:RAM ratio, 1:1 is best. But don't let that limit any FSB OC though. By all means, drop the FSB:RAM ratio to get a higher FSB.

This OC sticky explains both:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=263753

hi

ive installed some pc2-8500 (ocz sli ready) however my machine now randomly crashes - restarts. My fsb is 200 with multiplier of 17 giving the 3.4ghz stock 945d.

The fsb:dram is at 3:4 with ram at 533 according to cpuz giving that my mb is ment to only take 5300 is this a likely cause of the problem ???

Does any know how to solve this issue.

Thanks
Over_maher

Back