• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

death by overvolt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I've got two lovely sticks of 256 MB 2100 Crucial RAM that I think that I killed. They work most of the time while I'm trying to reinstall win98, but in the last stages, it gives me a boatload of BSODs and GPFs and I end up with a uselessly unstable OS.
My question is this; is it possible that I killed my RAM by giving it too much voltage? I have an A7M266 and while trying to OC it, I set the Vio and the Vmem the max. Could that have done it?

Yep to much VIO will definatly kill memory as well as other MB components. VIO is not as forgiving as CV. At this point it may be hard to pinpoint if its memory or not.

I've eliminated every other component besides memory. Looks like it's time to bite the mullet :eek: and get some new RAM. Thanks.

if you havent modded the physical part of the ram, you should 99.9% be able to get new ram, just dont tell then u oc'd it, and ull be good :)

Dissolved said:
if you havent modded the physical part of the ram, you should 99.9% be able to get new ram, just dont tell then u oc'd it, and ull be good :)

Maybe that's why the price of crucial doubled ;)

I've decided to do the honest thing and order some from PC Nut. No wonder they've got a 6.8 rating from 302 different people on resellerratings.com.

I think he's intelligent enough to have indentified the problem wasn't overclocking!!!(After the endeavour :rolleyes: )

He said that he boiled it down to the RAM, I would claim off of the warranty, oh yeah it was your fault:rolleyes:

However how long was the VIO up? Did the memory get hot? The problem with VIO is everthing GETS UPPED even PCI cards, so something that links to the memory could have went.....Crucial should last a long time, ppl have had the voltage up from 2.5V to 3.2V for over a year with no cooling on it.

Hmmmm, Good Luck with your next batch!

P.S. Thanks for ordering those stickers for me, really appreciated:)

Thanks! I just got the RAM from PCNut, and I couldn't be happier! It passed 5 loops of the burn-in test without sneezing and I haven't had a single BSOD since I've put it in!!!!!

hmmm weird i have my pc2100 crusial 256 ram voltage maxed out on my asus a7m266 with no probs accualy i been running it like that for most of the time i had it.... even hit some high fsb settings with it

Back