• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 for New Rig...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Okay, I am running 4 sticks of 512MB DDR2 at 533MHz.

Should I upgrade to 2x1GB DDR2?

And....

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

What is among the most recommendable for memory these days? :p

THX

Thanks a much...However, I do hear OCZ and Cosair are among the best of the best....

Fact or fiction?

look in the cyber deal section for any memory that uses D9GMH. There are a few deals out now.

dudleycpa said:

Fact.

I always use Corsair, nothing else. But OCZ is one of the best as well.

I dont like all those other companies, like G-Skill, Crucial, etc. Idk why but they had always come off to me as cheap RAM. This last year though alot of people seem to be buying into them.

AC3421 said:
Fact.

I always use Corsair, nothing else. But OCZ is one of the best as well.

I dont like all those other companies, like G-Skill, Crucial, etc. Idk why but they had always come off to me as cheap RAM. This last year though alot of people seem to be buying into them.

G-Skill? CRUCIAL?!!!!! Cheap?! You have got to be kidding me dude. :eh?:

I havn't seen people buy up the Corsair stuff since the dominators were, well, dominating. I would definitely pick between Crucial and G.Skill atm. Both have some great prices and are pulling off extremely nice numbers.

I quite frankly believe that in the high end Corsair and G.skill are with winners currently where as Crucial and OCZ used until that promos issue and drops in prices that ocz and crucial havent reacted to well on their better stuff.

also I think that its kind of funny to favor crucial over corsair which is a subsidy of the company that provides the chips for crucials better products. Heck when crucial switched from d9 to promos all h*ll broke loose.

Last edited:
Okay here is my soon-to-be system specs:

1. EVGA 680i SLi Motherboard
2. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
3. EVGA 8800GTX (640MB)
4. Raidmax Modular 630w PSU

I am a mild overclocker...

I look for quality performance for gaming and speed...

My choices are between OCZ and Corsair.

This is the list from the EVGA website of compatible memory:

Above 1066 MHz (Above PC2 8500)
Corsair TWIN2X2048-9136C5DF
Corsair TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF

1066 MHz (PC2 8500)
OCZ OCZ2N10661G
Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5
OCZ OCZ2N1066SR2GK
OCZ OCZ2N1066SR1G

Infamous question I know....

Which one?

THX in advance :)

You may want to watch the pricing on some of the 2 x 2gb kits coming out. They are VERY reasonable and are fast enough to allow, for example, an E6600 to run at 3.6ghz/400FSB+. Not too shabby.

BossBorot said:
I quite frankly believe that in the high end Corsair and G.skill are with winners currently where as Crucial and OCZ used until that promos issue and drops in prices that ocz and crucial havent reacted to well on their better stuff.

also I think that its kind of funny to favor crucial over corsair which is a subsidy of the company that provides the chips for crucials better products. Heck when crucial switched from d9 to promos all h*ll broke loose.
I don't think they switched over to Promos chips on their Ballistix and Tracers. Micron is Crucial and Crucial is Micron. They use D9. They've got some of the highest bined D9 ICs on their memory. Search the forums for Guatams Tracers, they did 700mhz. I believe wa77s also had some Ballistix that clocked up to 700 as well. Crucial memory is in no way the lesser of the bunch.

edit - Corsair are the ones who switched their chips over to Promos which angered a lot of people. I do want to say that the tension was resolved due to Corsair top notch customer service.

inkfx said:
edit - Corsair are the ones who switched their chips over to Promos which angered a lot of people. I do want to say that the tension was resolved due to Corsair top notch customer service.
If my opinion matters, that is a very fair statement. I appreciate reasonable people regardless of what brand of memory they use. :beer:

inkfx said:
I don't think they switched over to Promos chips on their Ballistix and Tracers. Micron is Crucial and Crucial is Micron. They use D9. They've got some of the highest bined D9 ICs on their memory. Search the forums for Guatams Tracers, they did 700mhz. I believe wa77s also had some Ballistix that clocked up to 700 as well. Crucial memory is in no way the lesser of the bunch.

my dyslexia, or as I like to call it lysdexia, caught up to me on that I ment to say that Crucial and g.skill are the best IMHO where as OCZ and corsair where the best until corsair did that promos thing. It just came out horribly wrong. :beer: I always get the names corsair and crucial mixed up when I write them even though I mentally know which is which.

I must of looked like such an idiot with that statement :(

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

OR

OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel

:confused:

JDawggS316 said:
Do the heatsinks on the Corsair give it a little edge over the OCZ?

Not really unless you like the looks of them better.

Do you have a link to the OCZs? I couldn't find them.

The Corsair you listed where crazy expensive on the egg.

Back