• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial PC4000 2x1GB kit - options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F@TMAN

Registered
I've been having interesting issues with my desktop lately (see sig), and wanted some advise about my options...

My system seems to have a problem cold-booting. I'll get a BSOD (usually "IRQ less than or equal to") the first couple of attempts, after which it'll boot up fine like nothing ever happened. I will also get the odd CRC errors when extracting archives, I guess that's not a good sign either...

I thought a reformat w/XP SP2 might do the trick, but unfortunately it didn't and I'm having the same issues...I recall from my o/c days that BSODs usually pointed towards RAM. I ran memtest recently (10+ hrs, standard tests) and found one error =$ on the 9th pass during test #4. I found it interesting that it had performed a further 2 passes after the first instance and not encountered any errors!

I'm well aware of the reputation these sticks have of dying, and as much as I'd like to hurridly RMA them in order to get some new sticks, I want to hear from some user experiences as to whether or not Crucial have overcome these issues, or whether it may just be simpler to get a refund and purchase different memory. If RMA is the way to go, I'm curious how Aussies went about the process, how much it cost etc - from what I can see, sending them to Singapore is the only option? Any input much appreciated, thanks in advance.

I RMA'd my DDR2-800 set maybe 2 months ago and it was the most painless procedure ever. The guy got straight to the point and I was good to go in about 10 minutes on the phone. I did a "cross-over exchange" because only 1 of the old sticks were bad. The new set is doing better than I expected.

I guess the most appropriate Q is, if I do RMA these sticks, have they addressed the issues that plagued z503 IC's, and will my replacement set be using them? Cheers

F@TMAN said:
*bump* answers? Surely some ppl here experienced RMA's with crucial...cheers

One error in any stage of Memtest86 is too many. Are you overclocked?

Back