• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Sign Of DDR3 - Uk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why does DRR3 have higher timings than DDR2 which is higher than DDR?
7-7-7 timings for this.

They have some good price there. :p
better than here in the US.

....I wonder what shipping would cost. :confused:

I looked for specs on the DDR3 stuff, didn't see any.
As far as timings go, I'm sure it has something to do with the speed its rated @ / for.

Here are some DDR3 sticks seen in demo at CeBit

* Gskill DDR3 512 Mo PC3-6400 6-6-6-15 1.5 volts
* A-DATA 1024 Mo PC3-8500 7-7-7-20
* Team Group 1024 Mo PC3-8500 5-5-5-15 1.8 volts
* Corsair 1024 Mo PC3-8500 CL6
* Patriot 1024 Mo PC3-8500 5-5-5
* Nanya 512 Mo PC3-6400 5-5-5 1.5 volts
* Nanya 1024 Mo PC3-6400 5-5-5 1.5 volts
* Nanya 1024 Mo PC3-8500 7-7-7 1.5 volts
* Elixir 1024 Mo PC3-8500 7-7-7 1.5V (Nanya)

Keep in mind this is the 1st generation. Timings will get tighter, and fast. I have CL4 DDR2-800 that I bought a year ago (which caused a lot of people at my job when the sticks arrived to go OMGWTF?), now CL3 with DDR2-800 is possible to find (or get through overvoltage).

1333 GHz is due in a few months (probably this Q), and as we see many manufacturers managed to land timings under the "specified normal settings" which are CL6 for DDR3-800, CL7 for DDR3-1066 and CL8 for DDR3-1333, and probably CL9 for DDR3-1600. I bet CL6 DDR3-1333 will be available at a decent price point in Q1 2008 (which is when I plan my upgrade, PenD 805 was a fun toy but now it lacks, and I don't even use all my stupid RAM because 4GHz is too noisy for me), and if OCZ, Corsair and Team keep going with the rate DDR2 is overclockable we will see some sick memory speeds popping up. And as it has been seen, higher speed ends up more important than tight timings just because of the bandwidth.

So, DDR3-1066 at CL5 already exists (availability is another thing, but with the release of the P5K3 and other goodies it shouldn't be too long), which would already be quite performant memory (especially since the voltage is so low compared to DDR2 and DDR1, which means "OCing!++"). I've seen on extremeoc forums DDR3-1066 engineering samples hit 1400GHz, so future is looking good.

On timings being looser on DDR2 and DDR3, well, it's a silicon matter. Timings as fast as DDR1 on a chip running 3 times as fast means that unless you bump the voltage enough to kill all transistors in sight, the info will be far from clear for the chip to understand and all hell will break loose. Better chips are being made every day, with the result that the voltage required for the DDR2 to run well gets closer and closer to DDR1 volts (Kingston 1200MHz DDR2 CL5 chips that need 2.35V to just work, anyone?). DDR3 is set to work on 1.5v. DDR2 was set to work on 1.8v.

Anyway, as manufacturing processes mature, it's possible to hit some pretty sick performance out of the same silicon. As seen, DDR2 didn't give an upgrade over high end DDR1 until quite recently when DDR2 prices got to the ground and high end DDR2 sticks got affordable, stable, and crazy OCable. But even now there is questions over if DDR2 is truly an upgrade worthy enough to switch.

DDR3 will kick that up a notch. Of course, the first stuff will suck. Remember CL5 DDR2-533? Laughable. If DDR3 manages to start with such timings as seen at CeBit (although the sticks on sale are very loose, and wouldn't give an upgrade over even mid range DDR2 sticks, or high end DDR1), then DDR3 will become an upgrade worth looking at pretty darned soon. It is expected that DDR3 will be the main memory for new systems in 2009 (the switch being made in 2008), so it being a mature memory platform will probably not happen before mid 2008.

CL7 DDR3-1066 sucks, yes. The DDR3 manufacturing processes suck too much to start aggressively sell low latency memory, as the yeilds would be horrible, but as the manufacturing gets better, and DDR3 gets more known and fabricated un bigger quantities, we'll start seeing some great things. It'll be just like DDR2.

I guess I answered the question, although I got on an enormous tangeant ^^.

Where the hell do i find a board that is compatible with DDR3??

Not that i am gonna upgrade soon though. But when i do, i am gonna go DDR3, which means i would skip the whole DDR2 thing.

the first mobos to support ddr3 will be p35/x38 (ich9--) its up to the mobo makers as to what slots to put on these boards as ich9-- suports both ddr2 and ddr3.

I pointed out in my earlier post that DDR3 1066 CL 7 sucked.

I am now saying otherwise. These SSs are courtesy of AndreYang of xtremesystems.org

Here is a good attempt at testing the P5K Deluxe board

13m07sec 32M SuperPi is quite good, you'll admit. DDR2 at 1200MHz CL 4-4-4-4, with 2.55 Volts pumped in it. 400FSB * 9 was used on a E6850 Wolfdale.

1200-CL4-1.JPG

Here is Geil DDR3 1066MHz with 6-6-6-20 timings. If it was DDR2, we'd say it's good for our mom's comp and that's it. But he bumps it (no word on voltage) to DDR3-1430 CL 6-7-6-18. Again, considering how memory works right now, we'd expect the 1200MHz-CL4 memory to win, and hard.

18.jpg

Yet, 45 seconds were shaved off on a first revision chip+board. With a lower CPU speed (3400vs3600).

I think that while DDR2 was mainly an upgrade on DDR1, DDR3 is in another ballpark, and if there was little incentive to drop high end DDR1 for DDR2, I beilieve DDR3 will be worth it.

Because, really, when DDR3-1600 chips will be out...

I guess I'll upgrade to DDR3 when it will be available and buyable where I work (called all of my providers and none have any date on availability of DDR3/P5K3). Stuff has an habit of being late in Québec City :bang head

DDR3>DDR2>DDR1, as far as timings, because the timings measure the number of clocks, not the amount of time. A good way to compare speed (quickly and roughly) is to divide the frequency by the timings.

for ddr2-

800/CAS5 = 160

for ddr1-

400/CAS3 = 133.3

In this case higher is better

Real world example:

When trying to walk across a street, you happen to notice that cars are driving bumper to bumper, in groups of threes (exemplifying a CAS latency of 3). However these cars are coasting at at 1 K/H (think of this as the fsb frequency). You have to wait a while for your opportunity to cross the street. A little while later, you have to cross another street, where cars are traveling in groups of 5 (CAS5 latency). However, they are moving at 100K/h (bus frequency), so the amount of time you have to wait for your oppertunity to cross the street is much reduced.

Roisen said:
DDR3>DDR2>DDR1, as far as timings, because the timings measure the number of clocks, not the amount of time. A good way to compare speed (quickly and roughly) is to divide the frequency by the timings.

for ddr2-

800/CAS5 = 160

for ddr1-

400/CAS3 = 133.3

Real world example:

When trying to walk across a street, you happen to notice that cars are driving bumper to bumper, in groups of threes (exemplifying a CAS latency of 3). However these cars are coasting at at 1 K/H (think of this as the fsb frequency). You have to wait a while for your opportunity to cross the street. A little while later, you have to cross another street, where cars are traveling in groups of 5 (CAS5 latency). However, they are moving at 100K/h (bus frequency), so the amount of time you have to wait for your oppertunity to cross the street is much reduced.

Which is exactly not happening with DDR3 vs DDR2.

1430/CL6 = 238
1200/CL4 = 300

300 > 238, yet the 238 shaved a good 45 secs out of the 32M SuperPi time with pretty much the same hardware at the same speed.
There is more at work here. Moreover, simply dividing Cas by speed is not a precise measurement.

BlackSphinx said:
Here are some DDR3 sticks seen in demo at CeBit

* Gskill DDR3 512 Mo PC3-6400 6-6-6-15 1.5 volts
* A-DATA 1024 Mo PC3-8500 7-7-7-20
* Team Group 1024 Mo PC3-8500 5-5-5-15 1.8 volts
* Corsair 1024 Mo PC3-8500 CL6
* Patriot 1024 Mo PC3-8500 5-5-5
* Nanya 512 Mo PC3-6400 5-5-5 1.5 volts
* Nanya 1024 Mo PC3-6400 5-5-5 1.5 volts
* Nanya 1024 Mo PC3-8500 7-7-7 1.5 volts
* Elixir 1024 Mo PC3-8500 7-7-7 1.5V (Nanya)

Keep in mind this is the 1st generation. Timings will get tighter, and fast. I have CL4 DDR2-800 that I bought a year ago (which caused a lot of people at my job when the sticks arrived to go OMGWTF?), now CL3 with DDR2-800 is possible to find (or get through overvoltage).

1333 GHz is due in a few months (probably this Q), and as we see many manufacturers managed to land timings under the "specified normal settings" which are CL6 for DDR3-800, CL7 for DDR3-1066 and CL8 for DDR3-1333, and probably CL9 for DDR3-1600. I bet CL6 DDR3-1333 will be available at a decent price point in Q1 2008 (which is when I plan my upgrade, PenD 805 was a fun toy but now it lacks, and I don't even use all my stupid RAM because 4GHz is too noisy for me), and if OCZ, Corsair and Team keep going with the rate DDR2 is overclockable we will see some sick memory speeds popping up. And as it has been seen, higher speed ends up more important than tight timings just because of the bandwidth.

So, DDR3-1066 at CL5 already exists (availability is another thing, but with the release of the P5K3 and other goodies it shouldn't be too long), which would already be quite performant memory (especially since the voltage is so low compared to DDR2 and DDR1, which means "OCing!++"). I've seen on extremeoc forums DDR3-1066 engineering samples hit 1400GHz, so future is looking good.

On timings being looser on DDR2 and DDR3, well, it's a silicon matter. Timings as fast as DDR1 on a chip running 3 times as fast means that unless you bump the voltage enough to kill all transistors in sight, the info will be far from clear for the chip to understand and all hell will break loose. Better chips are being made every day, with the result that the voltage required for the DDR2 to run well gets closer and closer to DDR1 volts (Kingston 1200MHz DDR2 CL5 chips that need 2.35V to just work, anyone?). DDR3 is set to work on 1.5v. DDR2 was set to work on 1.8v.

Anyway, as manufacturing processes mature, it's possible to hit some pretty sick performance out of the same silicon. As seen, DDR2 didn't give an upgrade over high end DDR1 until quite recently when DDR2 prices got to the ground and high end DDR2 sticks got affordable, stable, and crazy OCable. But even now there is questions over if DDR2 is truly an upgrade worthy enough to switch.

DDR3 will kick that up a notch. Of course, the first stuff will suck. Remember CL5 DDR2-533? Laughable. If DDR3 manages to start with such timings as seen at CeBit (although the sticks on sale are very loose, and wouldn't give an upgrade over even mid range DDR2 sticks, or high end DDR1), then DDR3 will become an upgrade worth looking at pretty darned soon. It is expected that DDR3 will be the main memory for new systems in 2009 (the switch being made in 2008), so it being a mature memory platform will probably not happen before mid 2008.

CL7 DDR3-1066 sucks, yes. The DDR3 manufacturing processes suck too much to start aggressively sell low latency memory, as the yeilds would be horrible, but as the manufacturing gets better, and DDR3 gets more known and fabricated un bigger quantities, we'll start seeing some great things. It'll be just like DDR2.

I guess I answered the question, although I got on an enormous tangeant ^^.

you dont know anything about memory.

no j/k lol.. nice post

Roisen said:

for ddr2-

800/CAS5 = 160

for ddr1-

400/CAS3 = 133.3

Real world example:

But then if you get hit they will take you out :(

frogger.gif

Thanks for the analogy, that helped, just need the CPU's to take the FSB we are pumping them.

Overclocking is going to be crazy on these things, I just noticed, 6x stock multi. Just imagine what you can push those C2D's to...

Well, E6850 has a 9x multi. Since it's a E, you can expect a X in the Wolfdale series, so X6950 should have a 10x multi, clocked at 3.33Ghz stock.

At 572, well, that's 5.72GHz. What kind of voltages will be required, no idea, but Wolfdales seem to be able to hit, in P35 boards, 400FSB with stock voltage and cooling very effortlessly. Intel's grindwork on making Netburst work pays off now ^^.

What that means about DD3, in which we already see about +35% to +40% Overclocks is that DDR3-1600 should be able to run 1:1 at DDR3-2000 pretty easily (25% overclock), and maybe with crazy voltages DDR3-2288.

Since we have already seen DDR3-1430 6-7-6 performance defeat DDR2-1200 4-4-4 with 1st revision hardware, you can imagine the upgrade is going to be worth it by 2k8.

So your saying within the next year or so, were going to be seeing 6Ghz WC systems? Sweet Mother of...

I dont even want to imagine Phase change or Dry Ice systems...

Back