• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory stability problem, and how much VDIMM before active cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YetAnotherNoob

I think I'm having a power supply problem.

I set VDIMM to v2.1 in bios. and bios + DMM reads v2.03-2.04.
I can run either of my sticks at 4-4-4-9 stable. but 2 sticks causes random crashes. and sometimes fails to post.

With the jumper set to v2.2, bios + DMM reads v2.16. and everything is rock stable and max overclock increased.

after an hour of memtest, the ics are very slightly warm if i leave my finger there for a few seconds. should i worry about overheat/cooking the ram? how far can i go before i should worry about active cooling?

YetAnotherNoob said:
I think I'm having a power supply problem.

I set VDIMM to v2.1 in bios. and bios + DMM reads v2.03-2.04.
I can run either of my sticks at 4-4-4-9 stable. but 2 sticks causes random crashes. and sometimes fails to post.

With the jumper set to v2.2, bios + DMM reads v2.16. and everything is rock stable and max overclock increased.

after an hour of memtest, the ics are very slightly warm if i leave my finger there for a few seconds. should i worry about overheat/cooking the ram? how far can i go before i should worry about active cooling?
I active cool all mem personally but to answer your question 2.2v is a good place to start w/ a fan.

Back