• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin 4GB HP2-6400 Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eldonko

Revolutionary Mule
Mushkin 4GB HP2-6400 Test Report

About two weeks ago, Mushkin launched a new 4gb kit, HP2-6400 5-4-4 modules, designed for both high-performance and value. This kit is priced lower than the 4GB XP2-6400 and 4 GB XP2-8500 kits, (currently at $345 on Mushkin site). I got the chance to test a set of this stuff and I must say I am quite pleased with the performance especially in this price range.

That being said, here is your Mushkin HP2-6400 Redline (part 996564) test report:

First I’ll start with a few words on the test platform and shots of the RAM and board. I’m using an E6600 Conroe setup with a DFI LANParty UT ICFX3200-T2R (RD600). The HP2-6400 uses the FrostByte™ (blue) heatspreader spreaders and comes with Mushkin’s new packaging.

rampic1sm2.png

Test bed
DFI LANParty UT ICFX3200-T2R
E6600
BFG GeForce 7800GTX @ stock
Mushkin XP-650
Windows XP, 32bit, untweaked
CPU Cooling - Custom H20 and stock cooler on the NB
RAM Cooling – 120mm Panaflo

Testing methodology:
I don’t plan on killing this kit quite yet so I am sticking to 2.3v for the time being. If I get ambitious later on, Ill run a few 2.4v benches. Also, I realize that I am only using a 32bit OS which can only test a lil over 3gb at a time, however I don’t have a 64bit at the moment so that will have to do for now. Ill try and pick up Vista 64 next week and run a few more tests.

Benches used:
Super PI v1.5 (two instances of 32M)

Tools:
AMD System Manager (clockgen and mem tweeking tool)
Smart Guardian
SetFSB

I am going to test 4-3-3, 4-4-4, and 5-4-4 using 2.0v, 2.1v, 2.2v, and 2.3v for the mem.

Now for some test results:

4-3-3 – 2.0v – 400Mhz

4-3-3 – 2.1v – 435Mhz

4-3-3 – 2.2v – 451Mhz

4-3-3 – 2.3v – 460Mhz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4-4-4 – 2.0v – 411Mhz

4-4-4 – 2.1v – 435Mhz

4-4-4 – 2.2v – 457Mhz

4-4-4 – 2.3v – 472Mhz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5-4-4 – 2.0v – 478Mhz

5-4-4 – 2.1v – 505Mhz

5-4-4 – 2.2v – 534Mhz

5-4-4 – 2.3v – 538Mhz

Last edited:
Summary

summarykp5.png

A few observations:
1) For secondaries I found that this RAM is quite responsive to loosening trp and trcd a bit. Don’t expect to run the same settings as GMH.
2) tras should be kept above 10 for best results, it actually effects stability in this case
3) Lower drive strength seems to be better than high.
4) CAS has a huge impact on clock speed

Overall I think this is a good bang for your buck if you are looking for a 4gb kit. :)

Will these perfrom as well on a 965 or P35 board? Can I mix them with a pair of my Redline PC2-8000 for 6gb total?

Last edited:
965 yes, P35 I'm not sure. You can run 6gb yeah (if your board will allow) but you will have to use the timings for the 4gb kit. Ill run a few 6gb tests when I get a min.

Eldonko said:
Also, I realize that I am only using a 32bit OS which can only test a lil over 3gb at a time, however I don’t have a 64bit at the moment so that will have to do for now. Ill try and pick up Vista 64 next week and run a few more tests.
First, thanks for all the testing! That's a good overclock for a 4GB kit. They blow away my GSkills, that's for sure. Next, you can download a free 120 day trial of Windows XP 64-bit from Microsoft. Here's the link:
You think MS would have canned this trial by now with Vista out.

Last edited:
very well done man!im impressed!i didnt expect much of a oc out of a 2x2gb kit but that stuff looks pretty darn good.again nicely done.

Thank you sirs. I actually went and bought Vista 64bit so I can utilize all 4gb. I have it running my folding/24-7 box right now, and Im happy to say I have no issues to report. I'll give you guys some 64bit benches sometime next week.

I've got a pair of the 4 gig (2x2gig) Patriot Extremes wich are excellent, i've been running at 555mhz 2.2v at 5-5-5-10 2t on my DFi 680i but I'm wondering if you could do some 1T tests???

I did some 1T tests but the mhz drop was not even close to being worth it on this board (RD600 max mem speed wins). I can rerun the tests at some point though. :)

Eldonko said:
I did some 1T tests but the mhz drop was not even close to being worth it on this board (RD600 max mem speed wins). I can rerun the tests at some point though. :)

Ya 1t is really hard for me as well,(maybe do 830mhz 1t) thats why I was wondering if you had better luck.

About the same for me. I can get over 100 extra mhz for 2T so there isn't much point unless you are using something that >400fsb = strap change and performance drop and 1T is avail. Even then I doubt it is worth it.

Last edited:
I ended up getting a set of these..well at least they're on the way to me. One of my gskill sticks died and i don't feel like having my rig sit here doing nothing while waiting for a rma. Can't wait to see what these mushkins can do for me

albaholic how did you make out? I ordered a pair of these and am somwhat dissapointed mine wont even boot at any speed with cas set to 4. and they will only go to 480 at 5-5-5. Those numbers aren't even close to Eldonko's numbers hence my dissapointment.

Back