• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with memory timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GC1983

Registered
Ok, first time @ OCing and I seem to be a tad confused.

Here are my timings given by manufacturer.

Module Name GeIL CL4-4-4DDR2-800 (2x1g)
@ 400 MHz 5-5-5-18
@ 266 MHz 4-4-4-12

and attatched is what i'm getting. Does that seem to raise some eyebrows?

2.4 overclocked @ 2.8, no increase in voltages with 100% stability.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because honestly, I have absolutely no idea in what i'm doing lol :)

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 267
I'm well aware of that and i know there's a simple fix, i read it somewhere.

But in saying that, I'm not using PCi-E for anything as of yet so i'm not too fussed.

I'm using an old ATI X1550 Vid card for the time being.

ok, so I now have my ratio set to 1:1 meaning i had to drop my ram which was previously reading as PC6400.

My readings still seem to be odd...

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 239
Okay, so I lowered my multiplier to 8 and raised the FSB to 375. So now i'm running 3.0ghz on air with no increase in voltage.

My timings are still 5-6-6-18 @ 375mhz which is damn odd seeing as @ 400mhz it should be running @ 5-5-5-18 (manufacter site says 4-4-4-12)

Should I try tightening the timings through bios?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 239
Yeah, you just go into the bios and changing the timings to manual. I don't think that I have seen ram default to their rated speed when the mobo is set for auto.

Ok, so I was able to get my timings set as tight as 4-4-4-12 @ 375mhz.

http://www.geilusa.com/products/showSpec/id/65 <<---- backround info on ram.

I had to up the voltage to 2.15v (It wouldn't boot @ 2.2 although manufacturer states up to 2.3v)

So anyhow, everything was looking GREAT!

My rig was where i wanted it to be @ 3ghz on air with a 1:1 ratio.

So I opened up internet explorer... and it wouldn't load. I went into my active processes, and sure enough it was there so I closed it and tried to open it again, no success.

I then tried to open and close random folders on my desktop which took forever to load.

I could sense my system was becoming unstable so once again, i enabled SPD in bios.

Timings are now back to 5-6-6-18 @ 375mhz which absolutely suck compared to the benchmark results I was getting for the short time i was running 4-4-4-12.

So boys and girls, is it safe to say that my ram simply won't run with tighter timings @ anything over 375mhz?

If that's the case, i'll approach GEIL about it.

But if anyone has any other suggestions, i'm all ears... well .. eyes.

Thanks in advance.

GC1983 said:
Ok, so I was able to get my timings set as tight as 4-4-4-12 @ 375mhz.

http://www.geilusa.com/products/showSpec/id/65 <<---- backround info on ram.

I had to up the voltage to 2.15v (It wouldn't boot @ 2.2 although manufacturer states up to 2.3v)

So anyhow, everything was looking GREAT!

My rig was where i wanted it to be @ 3ghz on air with a 1:1 ratio.

So I opened up internet explorer... and it wouldn't load. I went into my active processes, and sure enough it was there so I closed it and tried to open it again, no success.

I then tried to open and close random folders on my desktop which took forever to load.

I could sense my system was becoming unstable so once again, i enabled SPD in bios.

Timings are now back to 5-6-6-18 @ 375mhz which absolutely suck compared to the benchmark results I was getting for the short time i was running 4-4-4-12.

So boys and girls, is it safe to say that my ram simply won't run with tighter timings @ anything over 375mhz?

If that's the case, i'll approach GEIL about it.

But if anyone has any other suggestions, i'm all ears... well .. eyes.

Thanks in advance.
mine run 1020@4-4-4-12 @2.3v.

That's the thing, If i change the timings from 5-6-6-18 to 4-4-4-12, even @ a speed of 375mhz, it won't let me boot unless I manually change the voltage to 2.15 which I find strange seeing as i'm not OC'ing the ram.

I've tried it once more and it has now booted @ 4-4-4-12 @ 375mhz @ 2.2volts.

So far so good.

Memtest has been running for the last hour.

I'll be running ORTHOS once completed.

Don't know what that problem I had last night was.

Anyhow, thanks gigabit, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Back