• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB/mobo Chipset EVGA 680i WCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hello People,

OK so I have just ordered my new rig (thread in intel cpu section) and wanted to ask...basically the EVGA 680i mobo had like these huge heatsinks for cooling the mobo.

I ordered the 'Swiftech H20 APEX "Ultra Plus" CPU Liquid Cooling Kit' that comes with MCW30 Chipset water-block.

3. questions I wanted to ask...

1. Is it worth replacing the existing mobo cooling with this?
2. How do I do it? On the mobo there are 2 metal pieces...what one am I replacing? Do I saw off the metal line connection thing to put my MWC30 in?
3. The WCing kit has 7/16 tubing included. Could but some 1/2 tygon tubing and still connect all the parts together...would it make a difference and if I do need some extra parts...what are they...please?

Need all the help u can give people.

Thank u very much:(

the chipset coolers on that mobo are a single unit ...if you take the cooler off the NB, the SB comes off too. They are connected with a heat pipe. So the heatsink and fan on the NB also cools the SB.

You can cool the SB with another MCW30, or you can put a hsf on the SB...EVGA sells a mini fan cooler made specifically for that SB chipset...check their website

Thanks Jeff....

Decided to order 2 HL-o5's after reading Anubis' thread on the evga in the cooling section.

Now I will have the option of using good air cooling on the mobo chipsets or I can kool the chipset above the gpu slot with the mcw or not and well...when I get around to building it I can pick and choose to see what I want to do.

I am not a great fan of WCing the mobo but having the option is nice...also I might be able to use the vga waterblock in the swiftech kit for mobo cooling as well...

I rather order spend the £42 on piece of mind knowing that when I come to build the PC I can do it once it will be very OCable and pretty quite as well.

Thank u for the reply though!

Back