• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston or Samsung

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
After reading the front page about Cruical ram. I lloked at my Dad`s new ram made by Kingston and it had Samsung ram chips on it. What`s going on with this. If he would've wanted Samsung he would've bought Samsung.

Many memory manufacturers don't make the chips themselves. EX: Corsair uses Micron chips, Mushkin uses Infineon and Enhanced chips, Viking uses Hyundai and NEC chips, Kingston uses Samsung and Toshiba chips, TCC uses Micron and Mosel Vitelic chips and so on and so forth.

It doesn't really matter as the chips meet with the module manufacturers quality.

I'll back you up :p
I read this dutch magazine (Computer totaal) every month, and they tested 13 modules.
The Kingston module (Toshiba 7.5ns chips) they tested was rated cas 3, they got it running @ 148MHz cas2!!!.
They probably could have gone higher but they used a BX board with a Slot1 PIII 733 (No multiplier lock!!!....*******s gimme that) and 148 was the highest they could go.
Here are the results (max speed @ 148MHz):
Mushkin PC150 (6.6ns Enhanced chips):460/531
Corsair PC133 (Micron 7E (7ns) chips):460/532
TCC PC133 (Mosel Vitelic 7ns chips):455/523
Kingston (Toshiba 7.5ns chips):460/501
Remember the Kingston is rated cas3 and has 7.5ns chips, tho there was one module that beat Kingston (luck of the draw if you ask me)
Viking (Hyundai 7.5ns chips):459/528 but the other Viking stick with NEC chips didn't work at all.

BTW: I got a stick of Kingston value ram (cheapest Kingston you can get) and according to Sandra it runs @ 140Mhz 2-2-2, so don't tell me Kingston sucks (right now its running @ 148MHz 2-3-3).

Did somebody say "Kingston"?

attachment.php

flounder43 said:
Did somebody say "Kingston"?

attachment.php

Hehe PC100 @ 150 :p
...uhm Bad luck?

Not too long ago OCers really liked Kingston, unless you wanted to pay $400+ for 128Mb mushkin.

I guess its always the same thing, once a company is well know they start making crap (EX: WD had a 5 year warranty now its 3 cuz their drives die like *****,.....I had a few others in mind but forgot them, oh wait here's another.....Micro$#!T:D ).

But I believe Kingston still makes quality products.

KILLorBE said:
I'll back you up :p
I read this dutch magazine (Computer totaal) every month, and they tested 13 modules.
The Kingston module (Toshiba 7.5ns chips) they tested was rated cas 3, they got it running @ 148MHz cas2!!!.
They probably could have gone higher but they used a BX board with a Slot1 PIII 733 (No multiplier lock!!!....*******s gimme that) and 148 was the highest they could go.
Here are the results (max speed @ 148MHz):
Mushkin PC150 (6.6ns Enhanced chips):460/531
Corsair PC133 (Micron 7E (7ns) chips):460/532
TCC PC133 (Mosel Vitelic 7ns chips):455/523
Kingston (Toshiba 7.5ns chips):460/501
Remember the Kingston is rated cas3 and has 7.5ns chips, tho there was one module that beat Kingston (luck of the draw if you ask me)
Viking (Hyundai 7.5ns chips):459/528 but the other Viking stick with NEC chips didn't work at all.

BTW: I got a stick of Kingston value ram (cheapest Kingston you can get) and according to Sandra it runs @ 140Mhz 2-2-2, so don't tell me Kingston sucks (right now its running @ 148MHz 2-3-3).

First off I talking about Kingston 2100 DDR. If your happy with that then that's great for you. I also have kingston memory and have it running at 145Mhz 2-2-2. However I am not happy with that. I'm looking for the 150-160 that others are getting with Cruical or Corsair memory.

My Crucial chips, (micron !), will do 150 at cas2 with 1 chip in.
With both, I can do 140 at cas2 or 150 at cas3.

I noticed nobody mentioned the Kingmax memory in this
thread. It seems to be just a little bit faster than my
crucial, but not much. Can run both chips at cas2 at 148.
Any higher, and I have to jank a chip, or go to cas3.

Got some OCZ stuff on the way. It better be faster.:mad:

:beer: :eek:

Back