• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x1GB DDR $70 (Wintec Ampo)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys,

With the thinking of my new system I want to build, I saw this RAM on sale on the egg and it looks a really good deal.

I get 2GB of RAM for $70

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820161677

Now, would this RAM be ok to use? I want to save some money right now and go as cheap as I can.

Would it be worth spending an extra $30 to get like some Corsair XMS or would these be fine right now?

If they got hot, I could always....
ram-30.jpg
In the future :)

If it's only $30 more for Corsair XMS then get it, I think they're TCCD chips so should hit DDR600 with decent timings :)

Wintec is a respectable brand if you don't plan on overclocking. Otherwise, yeah, spend the extra $30 and get the XMS.

The_Jizzler said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

tahts the cheapest 2gb kit of corsair xms i found on the egg.

id go for the cheapo wintec myself as its more true to the OG oc'ers. back when teh point was to take cheap parts and make them go as fast as expensive ones!
Those are DDR2, he's after DDR1. But I cant find 2GB XMS for $100. Strange that... :rolleyes:

I change my original view; buy the $70 2GB, pump 3.4v through it and reach DDR600

But dont go buying expensive aftermarket RAM coolers, just use a sheet of alumininum, some thermal tape, and a fan to make some ghetto coolers :beer:

p2scho, the Wintec you linked to in your first post is DDR2, unfortunately DDR will probably cost you a bit more than $70 for 2gb.

funnyperson1 said:
p2scho, the Wintec you linked to in your first post is DDR2, unfortunately DDR will probably cost you a bit more than $70 for 2gb.

No this is for an upgrade for me for a new AM2 system :)

Thanks for the comments guys!
Any additional help will be awesome.

I would check the ramlist to see if the Corsairs you are looking at have D9 chips, otherwise you are probably just better off getting the Wintecs. There have also been some great rebate deals on Ballistix sets recently.

Also as far as cooling, all you really ever need with ram is a fan blowing down on it. Most heatspreaders are gimmicks and what these chips really need is a bit of direct airflow.

funnyperson1 said:
I would check the ramlist to see if the Corsairs you are looking at have D9 chips, otherwise you are probably just better off getting the Wintecs. There have also been some great rebate deals on Ballistix sets recently.

Also as far as cooling, all you really ever need with ram is a fan blowing down on it. Most heatspreaders are gimmicks and what these chips really need is a bit of direct airflow.

I'm not up with the Chip brands and stuff...what exactly do they mean and what are the best to get?

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit :beer:. I'm was looking at the same wintec/corsair sticks. I'm also lookin to go uber cheap bang for buck. I was looking at these as well: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=T6UX2GC5&c=fr

I think most of the supertalent sticks are overclocking pretty well (400-500mhz) according to the cyberdeal threads about a month ago (search supertalent). I'm running an e4300 so I doubt 400mhz+ is needed if at all. I'm also in socal so with tax they all come out to about the same price. Looks like they are better deal than the wintec, but what about the corsair? I'm guessing if you push it they probably won't run at 4-4-4-12?

Soja said:
Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit :beer:. I'm was looking at the same wintec/corsair sticks. I'm also lookin to go uber cheap bang for buck. I was looking at these as well: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=T6UX2GC5&c=fr

I think most of the supertalent sticks are overclocking pretty well (400-500mhz) according to the cyberdeal threads about a month ago (search supertalent). I'm running an e4300 so I doubt 400mhz+ is needed if at all. I'm also in socal so with tax they all come out to about the same price. Looks like they are better deal than the wintec, but what about the corsair? I'm guessing if you push it they probably won't run at 4-4-4-12?

Aw man I ordered those Corsair last night in fear of the price going up :(
Shame...but 2GB DDR2 will sure make a huge improvement in vista over my current 1GB DDR.

Back