• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dont believe, the PS will kill you.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Well im a hard headed, and as such in cleaning my enture case of dust on 2 days ago i decide to tkae apart teh PS and remove all the dust. Well its spotlessly clean with the help of a unused painrtbrush and my fingers, i must have touched all the parts in there more than once. never even got a shock, just felt the heat from warm resistors. So i have no idea whaty part you guys sya is deadly, not that it aint true, but i mean do all PS's have it. I grabbed the HS looking thing, resistors, so i can bend them apart and clean between, also grabbed some dirty brown/orage things bout teh size of a aspirin, like a connection between wires. Never anything.

And yes i did know that i couls get shocked, and hurt, so dont say you were an idiot for not knowing nad lucky to not get hurt

actually im just a idiot for knowing and just wanting to see if it would really happen, regardless or the results. I SERIOUSLY doubt that a unplugged PS will kill you. I mean with all the modding going on my various level of experiance i have never heard of a single death from a monitor or a PS (a serious one not hte one we allread al while back)

Well, they do put a warning sticker on there for a reason. How long was is off (unplugged) before you took it apart? They contain bleed capacitors. They loose their charge after a bit, but they can kill you.
You=Teh lucky!

BTW, just for future info, Monitors keep thier charge much longer than Psu's do.;)

yea i read that already. LoL and yes it was just as dusty. Well id say it was unplugged maybe 30-35 mintues b4 i took it apart and cleaned it. Maybe that is a decent amount ot time, but also its a 200 watt max, so maybe the charge held is so small that 15 minutes it will dissapate?

Bmxpunk86pl said:
yea 200 watts equals 2 amps which is a lot

Yep. I think it's actually a little over 1.6Amp

W
------
A | V

Watts 200 / Volts120 =1.66~667

I think, I haven't been in skool in a while...:D

even knowing it might why would you want to.

just blow it out good thats all you need to do

i would be way more carefull about monitors

i had a monitor that broke so i took it out to the dumpster and beat it up with a pickaxe and on the second blow a spark cameout past my head( it was awsome good thing the axe has a wooden handel)

Discharge the Capacitor

You can discharge the capacitor by using a resistor touching both end of the cap. Remember to use a high value one.

you folks are a trip. There are NO capacitors that carry a large enough charge in a PSU that will kill or even hurt you.

If you're silly enough to leave it plugged in, then yes, you can be injured (and in severe cases, killed). But unplugged, it doesn't carry a charge large enough that you could really even notice if you discharged it on yourself.

Proof, if you've ever seen a capacitor from an air conditioning unit (a home system....the large box outside your house) they are the size of about 1/2 a coke can. Commercial units have dual capacitors which are the size or 2 or 3 cans. I have on several occasions taken a charged capacitor and discharged it on an employee. (actually stuck it to his leg/arm/back of his neck) Great laughs! (sick I know)

I first learned of capacitors when I was around 16. My father (HVAC service man) yelled as if injured while I was in the shower. I came charging out to see what happened, only to be greeted on the other side of the shower curtain with a commercial capacitor to my ribs. Disturbing I'll admit, but we constantly played jokes on each other.

Lets kill the myth......UNPLUGGED PSU's can not harm you.

I've read a few magazines that said otherwise but you give pretty good evidence and i've fiddled in many PSU's, I just unplug em overnight just to be safe.

Oh well what does everyone else think?

Can capacitor kill?

Not sure ready the cap. inside an unpluged TV can kill or not, but it will certain give a big shock (I experience it when I was 10). People have heart desease may get kill by that shock, just my guess.

you folks are a trip. There are NO capacitors that carry a large enough charge in a PSU that will kill or even hurt you.

If you're silly enough to leave it plugged in, then yes, you can be injured (and in severe cases, killed). But unplugged, it doesn't carry a charge large enough that you could really even notice if you discharged it on yourself.

Proof, if you've ever seen a capacitor from an air conditioning unit (a home system....the large box outside your house) they are the size of about 1/2 a coke can. Commercial units have dual capacitors which are the size or 2 or 3 cans. I have on several occasions taken a charged capacitor and discharged it on an employee. (actually stuck it to his leg/arm/back of his neck) Great laughs! (sick I know)

I first learned of capacitors when I was around 16. My father (HVAC service man) yelled as if injured while I was in the shower. I came charging out to see what happened, only to be greeted on the other side of the shower curtain with a commercial capacitor to my ribs. Disturbing I'll admit, but we constantly played jokes on each other.
hahaha
lol.gif
roller.gif
lol.gif

I was trying to figure out how to discharge my PS when I took it apart, but I never got anything. I had my heart set on a nice bug juicy spark. What a letdown. There's always monitor breakdowns!

I had the PSU open the other day (doing 5v mod), left it off for about 2-3 mins (time taken to remove the cover) and managed not to fry myself. If you look at the caps in there they're like 330µF which is tiny! Also I'm on 240V which is more likely to give a shock than 120V. Monitors are more dangerous due to the higher voltages (like 50kV) but I've had them open after being off for an hour tops without killing myself :p

Thanks Shadow, and all the others, that posted. I am still believing that a PS cannot kill you, there just is not enought juice in my opinion. I have just grabbed ahold of many to see what would happen, and never got shocked

You guys are hilarious!! just thought id tell ya...that last one from nick had me LOL

hehe, really good info. All this time i though that psu's were all dangerous "even with the power off and unplugged". Kinda like "if you keep making faces, it will stay that way".

Back