• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSI Gauge as waterblock??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v3x

Registered
I just thought of this while thinking about how i planned on making a homemade water block, do you think this would work? It could probably be modded pretty easily and im sure they have small ones. Many are made from copper and aluminum, maybe prone to corrosion but anti-freeze could fix that.. what do you guys think?

:welcome: to the Forums !!

As far as your question, I'd say post up some pics of what
you have in mind exactly.

We would have a better idea of how you are approaching this,
and be able to give you a better answer.

Here for example this is a silver ( oooo silver) psi gauge

6af5_1_b.JPG

with a minimal amount of modding im sure it would be easy to attach two metal barbs, only 1 whole would have to be drilled and it could either put on a copper/silver square or right onto the cpu/gpu if it was small enough.

anything could be used. It proabably wouldn't perform as well to a normal waterblock, due to the reduced surface area in contact with the water.

noxqzs said:
anything could be used. It proabably wouldn't perform as well to a normal waterblock, due to the reduced surface area in contact with the water.

true but do you think it being "silver" would account for anything?

do a Search on this forum for Silver waterblocks. There are some results already with similiar designs-different metals.

Never heard of a silver PSI gauge, possibly stainless steel, or nickel-plated brass. Got any more info on it?

silver would be fancy. but if that PSI gauge is silver itd be about 500$. and not make for a partularly good PSI gauge...

and despite being silver, the totally inefficient design of the block itself would no doubt negate any benefit of the material its made of.

not to mention mounting it... near impossible.

waterblock out of circuit boards?:confused:

thats a steal for $36, as some of those sheets are military spec by looking at the codes.

I wish you luck, but I have no doubt you wont touch the performance of any mainstream water block. I dont mean to be a downer; just saying, the blocks are milled with quite some precision, there is alot of physics behind the jets of water and the need/creation of turbulance within the block to increase contact.

it is not just a box with water running through it, far far from it.

not to mention the need for a thick enough mounting plate that it wont bend when you strap it to the cpu; not to mention be milled to a perfectly flat surface.

is this your first go at water cooling? I feel like you may not be understanding the actual task your taking on.

ares350 said:
I wish you luck, but I have no doubt you wont touch the performance of any mainstream water block. I dont mean to be a downer; just saying, the blocks are milled with quite some precision, there is alot of physics behind the jets of water and the need/creation of turbulance within the block to increase contact.

it is not just a box with water running through it, far far from it.

not to mention the need for a thick enough mounting plate that it wont bend when you strap it to the cpu; not to mention be milled to a perfectly flat surface.

is this your first go at water cooling? I feel like you may not be understanding the actual task your taking on.

Yes this is my first go at water cooling, and i understand that most water blocks are very complex, i was planning on doing a maze. People seem to have decent results with making mazes are it is certainly one of the least complex designs. As for your link below that is certainly one end of the spectrum, i never was planning to make something like that heh.

i say go for it. when i first got on tehse forums, majority of the blocks being used were homemade. anyone remember the soda-pop can block? or the "what-block". we dont see too many custom blocks today. seems like when the whitewater hit everyone had to have one and the custom stuff just faded into the background. blocks can be as simple or as complex as you wish. theres no reason a decent block cant be handmade with simple tools.

^ heh at this point there is no turning back

can anyone direct me to how hard drives are cooled using liquid (which side is cooled) ? Im thinking about just using a copper plate and soddering copper pipe to the back of it.

some cool the sides of the hd, others cool the metal top part. your idea sounds ok. i remember seeing one that was some copper plate cut in the shape of a "W". then it was all boxed in and barbs put on it. whne all done it looked like a slab with barbs.

The_Jizzler said:
i say go for it. when i first got on tehse forums, majority of the blocks being used were homemade. anyone remember the soda-pop can block? or the "what-block". we dont see too many custom blocks today. seems like when the whitewater hit everyone had to have one and the custom stuff just faded into the background. blocks can be as simple or as complex as you wish. theres no reason a decent block cant be handmade with simple tools.

heh I remember some of that. but they were rather ineffective :p only worked because at the time we we didnt know the word "prescott" let alone this dual and quad core nonsense. the air cooling heatsinks were little copper fin blocks. heat pipe? lol

we're in a very different place. I can see cooling HD, memory, even northbridge. but if you attempt to cool a modern CPU with a basic maze design; I fear the worst.

ares350 said:
heh I remember some of that. but they were rather ineffective :p only worked because at the time we we didnt know the word "prescott" let alone this dual and quad core nonsense. the air cooling heatsinks were little copper fin blocks. heat pipe? lol

we're in a very different place. I can see cooling HD, memory, even northbridge. but if you attempt to cool a modern CPU with a basic maze design; I fear the worst.

yea ive been thinking about this all day, i think i will be able to come up with a jet/pin waterblock.. ill elaborate my ideas some time tomorrow.

how do you figure? the processors are rated for less watts today than before.
my old AXP 2500 would read 125 watts in everest. my current c2d 4300 reads right at 100 watts. youve half tempted me to mount up my old mcw-462 and see how much diff there is between my apogee. i doubt there would be much. the old school stuff works just fine. its just a lot more crude in its approach.

Back