• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LIQUID for watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I've seen tuts here and there, and I've tried this, that and the other thing, but I always come to this question every time.

No matter what, my liquid gets nasty to the point where I always want to replace the tubing.

First time I used distilled 85, anti-freeze 15... the next time was distilled 90 and anti-freeze 10, and the last flush was distilled and a 2oz bottle of Swiftech HydrX... the HydrX looked AWESOME when it was nice and clean!!!

But... I'm now about to put together my new core2 stuff, and my liquid is SO NASTY! I don't know how long it's been, but I'm gonna guess since the summer.

1. What do you guys recommend for liquid (yes, i know distilled but what raio and what additive) - FROM EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE?? I've heard of water wetter, but if hydrX covers that, then maybe i can continue with the swiftech hydrX.

2. And... I usually CLEAN with 85 water, 15 vinegar when I clean my rad (bix2) and pump (DD D5). My waterblocks I take them completely apart and wash them anyway... what do you wash those with - think I used just water last time...

3. Gotta replace the rubber washers on my rad cuz they're cracked - any links?

THANKS GUYS! CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK TO BUSINESS!!

Good question. I wonder if there is some sort of secret mixture that works best. I've tried distilled water and anti-freeze in the past and it really looked gross. Since then I've been running nothing but distilled water. In the end the tubing always gets cloudy and doesn't look nice anymore. I'm wondering if some dye would cover it up.

I'm a noob compared to you guys but I use about a 90/10 mixture of distilled water and pentosin antifreeze, the blue VW kind, with a few drops of waterbed conditioner. My tubing stays clear as can be for as long as I keep it.
The reason I say "as long as I keep it" is because I usually change bits and pieces of it when I change components but generally around 8 months or so.
The tubing I have been using the last couple years is Tygon R3603. In the past my tubing would cloud up after a few months but I was using lower quality tubing back then.

I have always used distilled water and have tried the following additives in it.

Waterwetter
Purple Ice
Hydrx

Out of the three the Purple ice mixed with distilled water faired the best after a year of use. It was still clear and didnt cause any buildup on the tubing like the Hydrx did. In fact I was able to use it again when I did my flush.

I only added enough to make the color slight purple so maybe two tablespoons worth.

I suggest using purple ice.

Im convinced most of the liquid issues are related to bacterial growth and not the liquid itself. Try using some shielded tubing.

I use Distilled water mixed properly with water wetter, in a 2Liter bottle (pepsi)

and just a "tad" more WW to get the water greener.

Stays very nice over time. I would have to say almost no buildup of any kind.

All my components are either plastic or copper.

I'm on all plastic and copper, too... unless my Bix2 has aluminum flakes or something on the inside... or the barbs... those might be steel, but i'm not too sure.

I do want to make sure my liquid has a UV glow to it.

What's this purple ICE? I like a green color with UV reactive properties.

I.M.O.G., I checked out your link, but don't see a chart or graph... maybe it's too old of a thread...

So, I have plenty of distilled water left over... just gotta figure out how to get a glow to my setup, and how to prevent GROWTH... that's gotta be my biggest problem. It ruins my tubing everytime, and the time it takes to clean the tubing is just not worth it over buying new tubing. I use tygon also.

Man that sucks... there was a lot of good info there back in the day. Looks like the external hosting no longer holds those images... His homepage is still there, but the images for that data no longer exist in his images directory. Bummer.

I.M.O.G. said:
Man that sucks... there was a lot of good info there back in the day. Looks like the external hosting no longer holds those images... His homepage is still there, but the images for that data no longer exist in his images directory. Bummer.
yeah - i was excited to see too lol

Lark-ICE- said:
do you use a addative that kills bacteria?

exactly my point of this thread... bacteria is my big prob... i've tried anti-freeze before, and also the hydrX like i said...

anyone know where i can get the rubber rings to put around my 1/2" ID barbs on my rad? they're rotted like crazy... i can't find them at frozencpu.com i'm shopping at www.frozencpu.com b/c they're located in my state in NY and i need this stuff fast.

well there was a review of fluid XP a while back on overclockers main page. not need to add anything to it, though its more costly then DW/additives.
depending on the XP you choose from frozencpu it would be 24.99-34.99 per bottle.

Lark-ICE- said:
ok, i have several humidifiers in my house. i bought a bottle of bacteria killer to add into the water tanks. the filters have zero growth. do you add any bacteria killer to your mix? if not, then try some. just my .02
it might raise temps, though... i know distilled is the best to have, and too much additives can raise temps b/c of rise in specific heat of the liquid mixture...

i may have to go the WATER WETTER route... where's the best place to get that? i may just go straight after work... pick up WATER WETTER, and washers/o-rings (w/e they're called) for the barbs on my bix2... i guess home depot for the rubber washers, and maybe they'll have water wetter?

anyone know what store will carry both? this would be nice... this way i won't have to wait for a shipment and i'll MAYBE fire up my system tonight!!!

You can also get it from like, Checker automotive, but under a different name.

O-rings .... Acehardware or similar.

WarriorII said:
You can also get it from like, Checker automotive, but under a different name.

O-rings .... Acehardware or similar.
i'll go to Autozone for the WW.. hopefully they'll have... and maybe I guess home depot for o-rings... not sure if there's an ace hardware around me (going to check their website)... my old job in NJ (30min away from me in NY) used to have one aroud the corner...

I used PC ICE in my setup this last time. no signs of funkiness thus far, tubing doesnt look hazed. all in all Im very satisfied. other than its high cost, it performs great.

I cant comment on temps... other than my temps are very very good... could they be better with pure water or water+additive; no clue.

All right noobs~~~! ;)

This is the product I use with all my waterloops. It is ViperJohn mandatory! Heh, hes the one who turned me onto this and I must say it is the best coolant I have ever used 5c better than anything else i have used. I only use 1 1/2Oz oer waterloop and then use UV dye cause I like the purdy colors which in turn makes me swapout tubing every 6-9 months ...LOL!

www.hyperluber.com

So distilled H2O with 1 1/2Oz of Hy-Per Lube and your choice of antibacteria-algae and you are goo to go

Last edited:
Back