• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cannot install win98se

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elmo

i can't install windows 98 second edition on to my old pentium 100. it keeps saying "corrupted setup cab file". i have tried multiple win98se CDs and none of them work, so i think its the computer. i have tried formatting several times (with and without the "/s" parameter) and it still doesnt install. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Try copying the install directory to the hard disc and installing it from there. It could be a problem with the cdrom drive itself, if you have a spare cdrom drive try installing from that.

Elmo said:
i can't install windows 98 second edition on to my old pentium 100. it keeps saying "corrupted setup cab file". i have tried multiple win98se CDs and none of them work, so i think its the computer. i have tried formatting several times (with and without the "/s" parameter) and it still doesnt install. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Do you have another cdrom drive you can try before you have to tear apart yer computer???

I have different CD-ROMs but they're in other computers. Could it be anything to do with putting the IDE cable in the motherboard or CD-ROM upside-down? Because I actually don't know which way to put it.

Elmo said:
I have different CD-ROMs but they're in other computers. Could it be anything to do with putting the IDE cable in the motherboard or CD-ROM upside-down? Because I actually don't know which way to put it.
most IDE cables have a notch in them so it only gos in one way... besides that it would not work at all if it was not in right...

mine does not have the notch so i know how you feel what i did was to look at the red lead in the ribbon cable and then look at other ide cables with the notch and the red line thus giving me a clue what i was plugging in and how it should be.

You should try another CD rom or bring it to the store to get checked or tested with another CD Rom, or find one laying around.

As for the IDE cable being in straight, yes it should be in straight since it actually reads the disc . To make sure you can go into the bios and select that it detects your drives at the bootup.

Back