• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A great find!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Denbob99

Today, at a jumble sale, I found a 430lph submersible pump for 50p!!! ($1 to you Americans). Such good find :D Now i've gotta go to a scrapyard to get a heatercore and begin my DIY WC system.

The flow rating means nothing for PC watercooling use if the pump does not also have a good head pressure rating. Most pond type pumps have abysmally low pressure ratings.

With a pump that cheap, a scrap heatercore might be justified. OTOH, if you can't reliably get replacement pumps at that price, you might want to invest in a new heatercore to avoid the possilibility of trashing the pump with scale and other crud that builds up in a car's cooling system. If you don't know what i'm talking about, flush the coolings sytem of any vehicle that's been on the road for a few years and you'll see what I mean.

With so many variables it's hard to say in absolute terms, but pumps with about 6ft of head, like the Eheim 1250, do fairly well in all but the most restrictive loops. If you can find a P-Q curve for the pump and estimate the restriction of your loop, that will give you a clearer idea.

Hmm it says 1.5m Hmax, so thats only about 5ft, then again this is just for a single CPU bloc, you reckon thats ok? Its gonna go pump > rad > CPU > Pump etc so there won't be much resistance.

Erm Little Gem, it looks like its from the 80's :p Its a standard plug on it, a no go on todays submersibles, they have faster cut outs. This leads me to belive its old

should be fine .

BTW i dont know if it is but your sig might be 2 big there are rules of # on lines

havent ever heard of that, alot of modern submersibles do still use standard 3 prong plugs and solid cords. but I donno, could be fine.

1.5m is about 6 feet, both are standard amounts it seems. question is if the flow curve is a table with a sharp drop, or a steep hill and planes out at the bottom. IE you'll be operating up towards the max head limit, is it gonna pump 80% of the its rating or 20%.

wont hurt to find out!

||Console|| said:
should be fine .

BTW i dont know if it is but your sig might be 2 big there are rules of # on lines

Ok, if a mod wants to PM me about this that'd be great.

Had a look for a flow curve for it but couldn't find anything.

You also have the issue of heat dump to consider with the pump. Many pond pumps dump a lot of heat into the water. You can always give it a go, but just realize that it may or may not work well depending on the pump specs.

Adragontattoo said:
Im looking at all of the aquarium stuff I have hooked up on the two tanks behind me and neither has three prong for anything but the compact fluorescent fixture on the 55g tank.

Denbob look at my sig there is a link to the forum feedback Faq which has info on the sig rules.

wierd, I have 3 prongs on a mag 9.5, 2 maxijet900s, and on my 500w MH ballast. also the heater is 3 prong, also the needlewheel pump on the skimmer is 3 prong. I think I had a rio pump that was 2 prong. but I dont have anything with break away lines.

Im actual curious what pumps you have, cause I wouldnt mind taking a look, it sounds like a good idea, I just have drip loops set on all my cords.

50p!?

Grats, thats quite a steal. If you can get other parts cheap - heater core from a scrap yard, cheap block off eBay etc. You could have a sub £20 cooling system :D

Denbob99 said:
Hmm it says 1.5m Hmax, so thats only about 5ft, then again this is just for a single CPU bloc, you reckon thats ok? Its gonna go pump > rad > CPU > Pump etc so there won't be much resistance.
Yeah, that will probably work if the flow and head numbers are honest. It's worth trying, at least. What CPU block are you thinking of using?

Back