• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v3x

Registered
i want to get a few things straight so please bear with me...

On the processor, the CPU (the little square) is what generates most, if not all of the heat?

Lapping is important for getting the best surface to surface area, but is thermal paste still useful on a well lapped surface?

I'm assuming you are talking about a CPU with no head spreader, so yes it comes from the middle chip. Lapping helps and thermal paste(AS5 for most) still helps. Use very small amount, size of a grain of rice or half that, I can't rem. For CPU's with no heat spreader it gets spread evenly over that middle chip, for ones with HS spread just in the middle.

you always need thermal compound because no matter how well you try there will always be very small imperfections. Thermal compound will fill these gaps so that there is no air in between, air is a BAD conductor.

Thanks guys. I have some more questions...

How do you cool your HD using liquid cooling, the size that gets hottest is the side where you can see the circuit board (green thing) right? You cant put a plate on that because it would short it out. So how would you cool it?

Nice. I stand corrected. To bad they dont have them with 1/2" barbs. I have 4 HDDs in my system that are feeling a bit left out of the loop. . .

I dont understand why this doesnt short out the pcb, is the soft material non conductive (it has to be) ? Im going to be making my own.

Do you really need to watercool your HDDs? A simple fan would do the job just fine. I guess if you are looking for a completely silent rig it makes sense.

I agree that drives don't usually need watercooling. If your rig is one of the exceptions to this rule, or you want to do it for some other reason, cooling the sides is usually enough. Drives are intended to be cooled this way. If you're concerned about widgets on the board getting too hot, turn the drives 90 degrees to maximize natural convection over the hot bits.

I've seen several posts about the bags on those Koolance drive coolers being extremely difficult to bleed. Some have also reported leaks.

the reason they come with 1/4 inch barbs is to keep water going to the cpu/gpu blocks by providing backpressure as you know water takes the path of least resistances you can buy 1/2" to 1/4" converters and it usually provides 2 outlets so you can use them for two sticks of ram or 2 hdd's and the second is a 2x 1/4" to 1/2 inch adapter for inlets back into the loop

Back