• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo alarm saved me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I set my motherboard's CPU temp alarm at 50 degrees C. when I first bought it last spring and completely forgot about it since. Suddenly, it started beeping like crazy tonight causing me to panic. I quickly shut the computer down and looked things over with the case off. Didn't really notice anything wrong, so I cautiously tried booting it again and noticed my CPU cooler fan was not spinning. I hurriedly shut it down again, then found and repaired a loose fan power connection. Now I'm back in business again. WHEW! That was a close call. Sure glad I had that alarm turned on. Saved my system from frying for sure. Maybe you folks might benefit from this experience too. Remember, guano happens.

What saved me was the smell of something BURNING! Oh, and my leg that was right next to the box started getting hot. My fan had some sort of bearing problem and stopped spinning. I tapped it 3 or 4 times and away it went... the temperature of the air getting blasted out of my box was scary-hot.

I put in a new fan right away... but if I hadn't been home at the time I'd have had a toasted PC. =/

you were just lucky you were home.
You need to get it setup to auto-shutdown...
just think of the horror is you ha beem away from the computer (not like that ever happens)

Most new boards not only have an alarm but they also have a shutdown feature, I set alarm to 40C and shutdown to 50C, took off fan and sure enough its alarm sounded, then I put fan back off so it went under 40C and alarm still sounded, so I let it off and at 50C it shut off!

Great.

If your board doesn't have it thogh then use MBM5 and SHDN.

I'm buying a SHUTTLE motherboard (to support AMD XP), will that have an alarm? That would really be nice to have, especially with AMD's.

--Garfield

Before my PSU fan burnt I smelt it... Of course I was back then stupid so I just turned it off and brought it to the technician.

Does the Abit BE6 have anything like the alarm thing? Where in MBM do I set the auto shut down thingy.

To use the Shutdown utility you need to download SHDN (shut-down-now) which you can get off of the same website.

Then you set it to start SHDN when it hits say 50C and Voila!

the 600 grams of copper on my p3 should do the job fine. if the cpu fan dies i still have 4 80mm fans blowing a tornado of air into the case. nothing even begins to get warm.

I'm more worried about psus burning out because i've had one start on fire before. if the fan in your psu goes you are sol big time.

Ebola said:
the 600 grams of copper on my p3 should do the job fine. if the cpu fan dies i still have 4 80mm fans blowing a tornado of air into the case. nothing even begins to get warm.

I'm more worried about psus burning out because i've had one start on fire before. if the fan in your psu goes you are sol big time.

FIRE!??!?!

Whoa!

I thought it can just burn out.

How is a tornado being created in your case?

I got my table fan hehe on the side so its so big it blows onto the cpu

I don't think its actually possible to make a Tornado in your case....

I made a fire (put out by my fans incedentaly) as I soldered a Speaker (beepy thing!) as I accidentally soldered + to - and well you get the picture!

It was an awful shock tohugh as I'd had a few:beer: and it was 3AM, suddenly all this smoke! You can imagine the reaction!!!(Lunatic running around screaming fire!!!)

AAAAH the good ol days....

Back