• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ecc or non ecc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hunter1895

Registered
do you really need error protection? is it woth the money and does it slow your memory down? boy theres alot to this building computer stuff but im learning alot and im doin it right the first time .:D

No you don't need it unless you are using the memory in a mission critical server,yes it is slightly slower than non-ecc.

more details

I'm also considered ecc/non-ecc for a new computer & understand that ecc costs for & impacts the performance. But will it give me a more stable system & how much slower will it be?

The actual difference in speed will not be noticeable to you in the real world at all. As far as stability goes, it won't help any. All it does is check and correct any low bit errors that pass through which are very uncommon in the first place.

This memory does not overclock well at all either. You're normally extremely lucky to get 10 more MHz out of it max.

i had pc 100 buffered, register and the whole shabang ecc ram that would do 133 mhz. and just so you know its slow. your sandra scores will be noticibly higher with non ecc.

Back