• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This mobo = embafflement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

I don't know if thats a word, but its what I feel.

I gave my old intel gateway mobo to my friend when I got my new system. Its specs here: http://www.gateway.com/support/techdocs/references/motherboard/4w4sb0x0/4w4sb0x02.shtml#io

The only things that changed when the system switched hands were the hdd, the gpu, the cdrom, and the floppy drive. Everything else remained as I had it. The setup works fine under 98se, but with 2k or xp, it won't recognize his mouse or keyboard. It gets to the login and you can't type or move the cursor. There aren't even any error screens.

The setup worked fine for me under win2k, so I don't know what it would be. We switched out everything but the gpu to no avail. The gpu is next, but I don't think that that would be it.

Any suggestions?

~A

Another thing I've noticed is when a system is booted with a USB keyboard and mouse, Windows 2000 will not enable the devices until they are hot swapped. Meaning, that you may need to boot the system with the standard PS/2 stuff plugged in, then while the OS is running, plug in the USB keyboard and mouse, and let it go through the hardware detection phase. Once this is done, and Windows 2000 has installed its driver set for the devices, it should detect them just fine at bootup from then on.

This I've had happened a few times with mice; I'd have to run through setup with only the keyboard I have (which is standard PS/2) and plug the mouse in again when the OS was fully installed, even if USB mouse/keyboard were enabled in BIOS (although Doc has a valid point; make sure USB keyboard and mouse is enabled in BIOS first.)

Back