• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x256 or 1x512 and by whom?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wrvolz

I'll be buying an abit KR7A-RAID soon and I'm wondering if it would be better to use 2 sticks of 256mb or a single stick of 512mb?

I noticed that the 512mb Crucial memory uses 7.5ns memory but doesn't say what it uses for the rest.

I may overclock down the road so I want good memory - who's the has best luck in memory for overclocking?

Thanks,

well its up to you, crucial has been proven to oc good up too 150mhz.. but crcuial is cas2.5.. id say get the 512mb stick if you could.. 1 stick has been said to oc better then 2.. and that leaves room for future upgrades or bigger ramsinks :)

Thanks, dissolved.

1) I looked at some 512mb crucial memory at BestBuy today and it was labeled cas 3, not 2.5. The 256mb was cas 2.5. But I could not read the chips to find out the make or speed.

2) The BestBuy had 256mb Crucial PC2100 for $50 - $15 instant rebate - $10 mailin rebate = $25. Hard to beat that price. The best I could find on Pricewatch was $57. I bought two.

Thread is immaterial now.

Thanks anyway.

There is an article on the front page with results from memory tests using 1,2, and 3 dimms. In all the cases you could reach a higher FSB by using the least amount of dimms.

But that's worthless if you need the memory for the applications that you run, i.e.-CAD, music production.

This may sound like sacrilege on these forums but I would pick the memory over the overclocking if you absolutely needed the memory.

Back