• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

systemhost

Well, just install vista this morning and have to say I am really quite pleased with the stability of both the os and drivers. The biggest issue so far would have to be flashget not working with IE7 correctly, eh, just a cookie issue. I have already downloaded and installed css and it plays and runs great, maxed all the setting out and still zero lag... but that's the most I've done as far as gaming. I just wanted to let you people know that even though migrating to vista sounds scary, and migrating to vista x64 sounds like suicide, I tried it and am quite happy I did... I'll post if anything serious does come up. The specs for this computer are below in my sig.

im thinking of installing the 32bit or 64bit version of ultimate right now so i can run dx10.. i DO have a dual core and currently running xp 64bit also but just afraid the drivers are worse for the 64bit of vista compared to the 32bit version. what sound card are you using systemhost.

I've had zero drivers issues with 64 bit VHP.

I use a xtrememusic x-fi sound card...

Ive been running 64 bit vista for about 4 months now or so... runs great. You know you can disable the mandatory device driver so that any old driver will install.

I'm just using the onboard audio supplied by SupremeFX, ADI1988B HD Audio codec. I have a bunch of audigy cards laying around, but meh, my reciever isn't meant to receive singals from a pc so I can't even get real surround sound anyways.

I was having loads of issues at first. Kept getting I/O device error when ever I tried to access my slave drives, and noticed the the harddrive activity light was constantly on, the system also wouldn't shutdown on it's own. So I went to nvidia.com and downloaded the 680i chipset drivers, installed them, all is fine now. I really like 64-bit too, nod32 runs fast as hell on here, they should call it nod64 now... heh

nikhsub1 said:
Ive been running 64 bit vista for about 4 months now or so... runs great. You know you can disable the mandatory device driver so that any old driver will install.

how do you do this? I have a HP LJ1020 printer and it wont let me install drivers in vista64 works fine in vista32

Hrmm well, i've been having a few issues here and there... not too sure who to blame... I got one bsod out of no where... a few mild lock ups that just simply went away. Tried to play Company of Heroes, but my computer locked up within about 10sec of playing. Can't tell if it's drivers, hardware, or just a ****ty os. Doesn't help that nobody out there truely knows what chipset I have, nor what drivers I'm supposted to use.

Meh, had no real issues with xp its self, vista on the other hand, just feels like it's still beta and I'm some unsuspecting tester, here to work out all the kinks of this os. Not the greatest feeling in the world... might try 32-bit if things don't smoothen out soon.

EDIT: Ok, I updated my bios and installed the 650i SLI drivers... Everything seems to be working just fine, just haven't tried playing any games yet... but the errors are gone, and lock ups have disappeared as well.

Last edited:
I installed Ultimate 64 just this week, and I've not had too many issues.

Mostly just errors with some benchmarks and utilities, like ATI Tool not wanting to run b/c of some kernel error. No biggie, as I use RivaTuner anyway, though I had to use a 3rd party program to disable the Driver Signing requirements: Vista Boot Pro v. 3.3.

It may be listed elsewhere in the guides linked above, but it's a great program and saves you from having to use CMD or F-keys during boot up (I've heard that method is inconsistent anyway) to allow you to use non-signed drivers and avoid the "You can't continue because this driver is unsigned" error.

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

I'm pretty happy with performance so far, and the Aero interface is actually cooler than I expected. Not a big deal, but kind of cool to play with and impress friends. :)

Hah, just discovered that both the 680i and 650i drivers are the same... but thing morning vista hit me with a storage driver update... everything's perfect now... been playing Company of Heroes and loving it! This os has been working great, far better than I expected for
1. Being vista
2. Being 64-bit
3. Being a product of Microsoft

So, I'm really quite suprised and excited that things are just... workng...

Back