• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do Crucial PC5300 cost more than PC6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltclydefrog

Registered
I'm looking for ram to replace my crucial 10th anniverseries (1 stick broke) and found that the Crucial 5300 out now is basically the same thing. Then I saw that the 6400 sticks were a full $100 cheaper. Can someone explain why?

Could your provide links or model numbers so we can look up what you are talking about? Its possible that one has better components , or tighter timings for better performance.

Also, Crucial has been going nutz lately with rebates and nice deals on ram. I picked up a pair of 2x1gb pc8500 ddr2 ram for 90 bucks. Amazing stuff.

imp

lol....nice prices....go for the 6400 b4 they realise their 5300 is more. lol

I would suggest looking at this retailer. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Mwave without any problems so if you don't know them, don't be concerned.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProd...Rebate=0&ST=&page=1&ShowImage=1&SortMethod=11

The 5300s (2x1gb kits with 3-3-3-12 timings) are just under $100, plus shipping and the 6400s are $115, but still have an MIR rebate of $30 thru 7-20-07, bringing them down to $85, plus shipping or about $92-$95.

While the 5300s still end up costing more after the rebate, in this case the difference is very small.

That said, I would still suggest the 6400s. These days they are clocking like crazy, often hitting 600 MHz plus, and in addition, many have been reported to ship with a "dual SPD", showing both DDR800 timings of 4-4-4-12, as advertised, plus DDR1000 timings of 5-5-5-15.

All in all, these Ballistix 6400s are about the best Micron D9 clad option currently available.

Thanks for the link, thats a good price.

I was just making sure there wasnt something i was missing like the PC5300 being vastly better than the PC6400 in the same line.

Also, would it be worth it to get the PC8500 over the PC6400, they are only $135. All of these cost much less than I expected for ram. I bought my last ram set for around $230.

ltclydefrog said:
Also, would it be worth it to get the PC8500 over the PC6400, they are only $135. All of these cost much less than I expected for ram. I bought my last ram set for around $230.

Memory speeds exceeded the ability of today's CPUs. PC6400 is more than enough. Look for the lowest latency.

I would also suggest just going for the 6400's especially for the price and futureproof aspect of it...

ltclydefrog said:

The 8500s are great overclockers and many hit 650-700MHz, if the rest of your system is capable.

Whether you would want to pay an extra 35%-40% more would depend on whether or not you planned on overclocking them to those levels or not.

They usually will run the same 4-4-4-12 as the 6400s, but just generally have a little more headroom than the 6400s when you relax the timings to a more moderate 5-5-5-15. Do keep in mind that it is documented all over the Web that high clocks at moderate timings will outperform tight timings at lower clocks on an Intel system in most cases. Of course, those higher clocks come usually at the expense of higher voltages and a little more stress on the system. Whether that is your cup of tea or not, is a personal call. The amount of performance increase is measureable in benchmarks, so its real. Whether or not it translates to the apps that you run, and to what extent, is another matter.

All in all, the 6400s are just one of the better buys out there right now...quality modules with good overclocking headroom at what could just about be considered value ram prices.

I would stick with the 6400's but of course I don't have anything that would require the need of the 8500's either..

some of the eggs prices are bass ackwards.theyve been that price for a couple of months for some reason.even when the 8500s were a little more than $100 amir :/

@op your 10th annis are lifetime warrantied as well.crucial will usually replace them even without the original reciept.

I dont have any of the original packing... just the sticks. Will crucial still replace?

they should.i called their cs and asked that very question a few days ago(ive got four bad ddr modules,no reciept or anything).their response was that as long as they still sell them your good to go.so id say you should be fine.

Back