• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck in 4bit, BSOD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xilix

OS has been flaky lately. I reinstalled Windows, loaded up fine. As soon as I install the video drivers, it boots into 4bit and I can't change it no matter what I do. Whenever I force it to go into 16/32 bit, it will BSOD and then reboot, and then just do a looping reboot over and over again.

I'm at a loss at this point. I've tried formatting this thing 3 times this weekend and I just give up. Any ideas as to what it could be?

Which OS are you running, and I assume the video card installed is the 6800XT in your sig? What's the exact STOP message in the BSOD, and which VC drivers are you installing?

No.

XP. Yes the 6800XT. STOP: "0xffff0005, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8054afd2". Nvidia Drivers 94.24 (have also tried others to no avail).

Yep, installed the chipset drivers first.

It seems to go into 16/32 bit just fine in safe mode. This machine was running great up until all of this flaky stuff started happening.

For some reason it's working now. I switched to the primary DVI port on the card and it was cutting in and out, and I could see a dialog box which had an option for yes or no (couldn't make out what it was actually asking). I managed to click one of them and blam, it works. This is the wierdest issue I've seen yet on PC. No rhyme or reason for any of it.

Back