• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ReadyBoost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qlix

so has anyone actually ever used the readyboost feature? is it worth it? do you notice any gains? is it REALLY like adding extra sticks of ram to your machine?

thanks in advance!

Ready boost uses flash memory for the page file so, it's not really like adding more RAM. The benefit (theoretically) is that the flash device will have a faster access time than the HDD thus, quicker access to the page file.
I've not used it and I don't know anyone that would actually need to, at this point.

so then basically its useless to all of us who have 2 gigs+ of memory.... thanks... good to know

rugscrubber said:
so then basically its useless to all of us who have 2 gigs+ of memory.... thanks... good to know

Not quite true. While people with large amounts of memory will see smaller gains, you should still have some benefit. It doesn't completely replace the page file. It puts small chunks of data on the Readyboost that benefit from quick access times. For larger chunks of data it'll use the hd due to it's faster sequential read speeds.

As cheap as flash drives are, I'd put one in regardless. I'm using a 2gb CF drive that I mistakenly purchased over the winter. A perfect use for something I had no other use for. If you have a card reader you can pick up an SD or CF card almost free after rebate. Wait until a good sale, then pick one up then.

well yeah thats kinda what i was thinking! CompUSA 2Gb flash drive 19.99... cant beat that really

Well, the thing is, my raptor has some very nice read/write speeds, 50-60MB/s+ as do my 500's and 750. My 2gb flash has write speeds of 2-3MB/s and read speeds of about 17MB/s. Given I have 5 drives in my computer, I could easily set up small amounts of paging on each one and get a combined theoretical throughput of a say 250MB/s which is more than 4X usb 2.0's maximum possible throughput.

Sooo, even if you do get a faster usb drive than mine... $$$... I still don't see the point of using this for reasons of speeding up your computer. Another thing, what happens if you take the thumbdrive out by accident? There goes all those system files, program files, etc that windows had stored on it, can you say bsod? Plus, I'm sure this is a very quick way to kill your flashdrive as they can only stand so many read/writes.

systemhost said:
Well, the thing is, my raptor has some very nice read/write speeds, 50-60MB/s+ as do my 500's and 750. My 2gb flash has write speeds of 2-3MB/s and read speeds of about 17MB/s. Given I have 5 drives in my computer, I could easily set up small amounts of paging on each one and get a combined theoretical throughput of a say 250MB/s which is more than 4X usb 2.0's maximum possible throughput.

Sooo, even if you do get a faster usb drive than mine... $$$... I still don't see the point of using this for reasons of speeding up your computer. Another thing, what happens if you take the thumbdrive out by accident? There goes all those system files, program files, etc that windows had stored on it, can you say bsod? Plus, I'm sure this is a very quick way to kill your flashdrive as they can only stand so many read/writes.

It's not the read/write speed that matters, it's the access time. Flash drives have much quicker access times than any hd. That's why it's used to transfer small chunks of data. The hds are used for large sequential transfers. If you pull the ReadyBoost drive out during use nothing will happen. All data is duplicated on the hd. Vista balances the writing to the flash drive to prolong drive life. At the prices of flash drives, and the length of time it takes to ruin a drive, it isn't really an issue.

I've been using RadyBoost for a few weeks now and have mixed feeling about it. It seems like sometimes, it gets things moving quicker but at other times, it slows things down like having to mouse to jerk and not be as responsive. I initially was just curious about it but now, I wouldn't recooment anybody to go out of its way to get it. It has a few bugs too, like being completely off coming out of sleep and I have to reboot the whole system to be able to reenable it or it just freeze if I try to reenable it without restarting. It should have been a Beta add-on . Not ready for prime time in my opinion.

ned2021 said:
I've been using RadyBoost for a few weeks now and have mixed feeling about it. It seems like sometimes, it gets things moving quicker but at other times, it slows things down like having to mouse to jerk and not be as responsive. I initially was just curious about it but now, I wouldn't recooment anybody to go out of its way to get it. It has a few bugs too, like being completely off coming out of sleep and I have to reboot the whole system to be able to reenable it or it just freeze if I try to reenable it without restarting. It should have been a Beta add-on . Not ready for prime time in my opinion.

I haven't had any of those issues :-/ I can't say it's a noticeable change with or without, but I'll take what I can get.

Well, maybe the system you have might be a factor. The delays are very noticeable especially right after boot-up. I have 1gb stick of ram and a Athlon64 3200 Winchester CPU and NVIDIA 6600GT videocard. I guess it's time for me to work on my signature.

Back