• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Move windows from hard drive to usb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

Is there any way to install windows to hard drive, then move it to usb key. I want to make a nlite xp just for boinc, and then install it to the hard drive, and move it to my usb key.
Thanks

i don't think MS will allow you to create a thumb drive install. I would be surprised if anyone has ever done this.

However, you can do this very easily with Linux. There are tons of USB/thumb drive distros out there. I know you can run DamnSmallLinux and Puppy Linux off a thumb drive, and I think you can run Ubuntu and Debian off a thumb drive too.

There is no easy linux, I could easily just extract to a usb from windows and load it.
Thanks

I followed this guide to get it on my usbkey, but it wont detect my network card. Something I'm confused, do I have to make a custom xp using nlite and integrate the XpUsb2Addon or just format the usb key in ntfs and extract those files to it.
Thanks

Last edited:
elec999 said:
There is no easy linux
i'd have to completely disagree with you there.

how big is the pen drive you are trying to use? That post really worked?

splat said:
i'd have to completely disagree with you there.

how big is the pen drive you are trying to use? That post really worked?
2 gig usb key.
Thanks

you can download mini windows USB versions from certain sites....for example th3zone.com

Back