• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AD and first time installers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gangaskan

i'm very familar with unattended installs for widnows (xp install unattended install batch scripting.), however, i came up with the idea and i'm not sure if this would be feaseable.

right now i'm manually installing about 75% - 80% of all my windows updates and software in my organization. we are getting in more machines here shortly, and the question came to mind, would it be possible to automate those installs if i make a user with a batch script to map a network drive then use the drive to install software? currently i am super tight on storage so ghosting is at most out of the question due to me having these installs locally shared. i have plenty of server processing, however space for users files are critical for me currently. if i could i would ghost, however, i feel installing is the only option available to me currently.

all these machines are dell of course and i'm in the process of using RyanVM to update the dell SP2 install cd's

basically this is what i would like to install when i start this user profile

office (i have 2000, and 2003 depending on what department gets it, the police dept have the site 2003)

adobe 8 (everyone complains due to us not being able to use the site, for some reason our sonicwall considers adobe a threat in the IPS/IDS i think)

anything else i can automate during the process updates would be amazing, however, not required (even if i can get the first three updates and WGA i would be happy) can i automate a auto patcher install and the update package?

and another question, is there a way to force an update upon a machine? i would like to do some type of patch management on the extreme cheap (ie free)

any constructive criticism is taken :) i would like to hear what all you pc techs/ net admins tend to use.

Back