• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer operating system, xp or vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KevinIsLost

Registered
i am about to put together a new computer wit a core 2 duo processor, i 4got which one. should i use vista or xp ?

are you using a dx10 card? if not i would stay with xp. although i love vista and have zero problems, if you dont have a dx10 stay with xp untill you buy one :)

i have a question to rainless, could u explain the concepts and ho to dual boot?
and also, for cost effectiveness and # of bugs compatibilaty, and other factors, what sould i do?

Eh, meh, don't bother, just run xp if you still have a copy... you don't seem too keen on gaming, and since that's pretty much the only reason to use vista, I'd say you're fine with xp. No reason to upgrade if you don't need to. Plus, alotta times if you don't know exactly what you're doing, vista can be a mess.

I would say that if you have to buy an OS either way, then it just makes sense to buy Vista. Otherwise if, in the future, you have purchased XP and then choose to play games that require DirectX 10, you will have to purchase Vista on top of the XP purchase you've already made.

You can get Vista Home Premium for just a few bucks more than XP (On newegg the price difference is like $20-ish) Just makes sense to me. :shrug:

New games are going to start coming out that will require DX10, so if you want to play them you're going to need Vista. That leaves Vista and dual-booting Vista and XP as your best options. Vista doesn't seem to have glaring compatibility problems either so I don't see a reason not to other than the higher memory requirement.

Which type of vista should i buy?, where, if i am planining on buying new computer parts also?

I recommend Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM. I got it because I purchased 4gb's of RAM. It's also only $120 at the Egg, being cheaper than retail. It plays every game flawlessley: Call of Juarez, FarCry, CS:S, COH, etc etc etc

Yup if theres no capaitiblity issues, mainly 3-4+ year old printers, scanners, etc that might have an issue with drivers, there is no reason not to. Only concern you might have of going to Vista currently is exactly what your doing with the system. If playing games and only 2Gigs of ram it should handle most games fine, but theres the few that use memory and since a Vista install does use a bit more memory it could be a little slower there. Video drivers are coming up to the standard of XP and in some cases passing XPs drivers.

If you need to buy an OS, Vista (32-bit if you plan on using 2gigs of ram for a long time or 64-bit if you want to expand to 4Gigs in the future and have full access to it or want to stay on the edge). If you have XP already on a computer you aren't going to use, well then just use that then. Save the money to buy Vista at a later date when you need it to run the program or games that you want to.

Back