• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DX10 for Windows XP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
White_Pawn said:
http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/

umm. This is already pretty old. If anyone already posted this, i'm sorry for the double post.

Anywais, anyone try this thing out yet? :eek:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=488723&highlight=DX10+XP

A recent discovery though, was the only major (tech) think stopping DX10 from from XP was the fact that virtulization was built into DX10. Nvidia couldn't support this feature with its hardware, now virtulization isn't required, its optional. So no major code rewrite would be need to XP's kernel. All M$ has to do is realease it for download liek the latest DX9 is.

The only issue I have with the alky project is, A) so far no mention of anything new except for it's being released soon. B) They will charge you.

I'd rather the developers put what they've gain into the WINE project..which you might be interested to know will also be porting DX10 to XP, after DX10 is implemented.

Although as anyone who uses WINE knows, DX9 isn't even fully implemented yet, mainly SM3.0..The intial work for DX10 has been started though..

So all in all, looks great, but I want to see it working (and not with the preview, SDK's). When an actual game engine works on it, then I'll be happy..:)

Shelnutt2 said:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=488723&highlight=DX10+XP

A recent discovery though, was the only major (tech) think stopping DX10 from from XP was the fact that virtulization was built into DX10. Nvidia couldn't support this feature with its hardware, now virtulization isn't required, its optional. So no major code rewrite would be need to XP's kernel. All M$ has to do is realease it for download liek the latest DX9 is.

The only issue I have with the alky project is, A) so far no mention of anything new except for it's being released soon. B) They will charge you.

I'd rather the developers put what they've gain into the WINE project..which you might be interested to know will also be porting DX10 to XP, after DX10 is implemented.

Although as anyone who uses WINE knows, DX9 isn't even fully implemented yet, mainly SM3.0..The intial work for DX10 has been started though..

So all in all, looks great, but I want to see it working (and not with the preview, SDK's). When an actual game engine works on it, then I'll be happy..:)

agreed.

somehow,.. dx10 on winxp doesn't surprize me what-so-ever.. the part where they think they can actually charge for it does however.. I'm sure in time there will be many releases from other groups as well..

as far as m$ trying to force people into using vista just for dx10 I still find a sick sad joke.. and a plan to kill pc gaming and sell more consoles..

their whole plan was to *make sure users buy vista to do latest microsoft + DX10 games* and requiring so you need to do some upgrades ... which fules the high end graphics market .... and the whole chain starts again

i knew this would be a project for people, also i knew it was only a matter of time before it was attempted and accomplished. Tons of people hate vista its the nature of the beast because well, it sucks in most aspects, and pretty on others :p

gangaskan said:
it sucks in most aspects,
You have to give it time, I thought xp sucked when it first came out, then M$ got some of the bugs worked out and it became a good OS.

I would love to see DX10 on XP, but its never gonna happen. M$ WANTS people who would use DX10 to have to spend money on a copy of vista.

i never said i hated it :p but for the most part some people have a hatred for it. honestly, if they fixed UAC i would be very happy (ie be able to switch from uac to a XPSP2 environment.) i would be very pleased .... or be able to tell UAC what applications are given permission by you, the user, so that the freaking pop up dosent come up as often, or ever for that application.

gangaskan said:
i never said i hated it :p but for the most part some people have a hatred for it. honestly, if they fixed UAC i would be very happy (ie be able to switch from uac to a XPSP2 environment.) i would be very pleased .... or be able to tell UAC what applications are given permission by you, the user, so that the freaking pop up dosent come up as often, or ever for that application.

just to make sure, you do know that you can turn off UAC totally, right?

freakdiablo said:
You have to give it time, I thought xp sucked when it first came out, then M$ got some of the bugs worked out and it became a good OS.

I would love to see DX10 on XP, but its never gonna happen. M$ WANTS people who would use DX10 to have to spend money on a copy of vista.

Yep...It's more money for them and it requires the consumer to pitch out a lot of money...for a little eye candy. Good thing I found vista really cheap because I'm a student.

Other than that, I'm just waiting for Crysis to play on my laptop :)

mbentley said:
just to make sure, you do know that you can turn off UAC totally, right?

yeah i second this thought... you can turn UAC off... its in the user accounts area in the control panel...

rugscrubber said:
yeah i second this thought... you can turn UAC off... its in the user accounts area in the control panel...

Alternatively you can go start -> msconfig in the search bar -> tools -> disable UAC -> Launch

Back