• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software for converting DVDs to something suitable for Google Video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leviathan41

I have been asked to help get some DVDs of a class onto Google Videos and was wondering what program(s) to use. I know it would be easiest to just export the video from the original source, but all I have is the videos on DVD. What I will need to do is convert these videos to a video format and size that will be suitable for upload to Google Video. I tried VOB2MPG but there was no option to change the quality of the MPEG and I ended up with 800MB file for 12 minute of video. I know I could do it with Sony Vegas, but I am going to be teaching someone else how to do it and they don't have any video editing software like I do. What is a good, free program or programs that would accomplish this goal. Thanks!

EDIT: I should also mention that I tried VirtualDub for decreasing the size of the video, but VDub didn't like the output MPEG of VOB2MPG and wasn't able to open it.

Last edited:
put it into an MPEG, then use Windows Movie Maker to compress the file?

Open the file in windows movie maker, add it to the timeline, then file->export video or save movie file or w/e (I forget exactly). Then just run through. Pick High-quality video large or high-quality small or w/e. Look through specs and finish the wizard. It should size it down quite a bit.

Fair use wizard 2 lets you change to mpeg4 etc... and choose the exact size of the output file. The only problem is you have to pay to unlock the editing feature so you can't cut the scenes up.

Back