• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What will happen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KevinIsLost

Registered
i am planning on putting together a new computer with an asus motherboard with 4 memory slots, if i use my old 2 gbs of ram with 2 new, faster gbs of ram, will anything slow down?, or will it run normally?

KevinIsLost said:
i am planning on putting together a new computer with an asus motherboard with 4 memory slots, if i use my old 2 gbs of ram with 2 new, faster gbs of ram, will anything slow down?, or will it run normally?
In order for your ram to run it will need:
1:same operating voltage
2:same timings (4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-15 etc.)
3:same type ( eg.,DDR1 or DDR2)
4:the MB will accept the mixed set
It's not the best idea to run mixed sets of ram, for compatibility reasons
some combinations simply will not work. However, good luck!:)
If it does run, it will run at the slowest set's speed.

KevinIsLost said:

I think a few more details would help, what memory, what mobo, what PSU?

If your motherboard supports such setup and you have settings mem settings set to auto then your setup, you could say, will run normally. The faster memory will run at the speed of slower memory already in the system.

Back