• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Activation.. but i already activated..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

hey guys
i have a laptop with winxp installed (legal version!) that came with the laptop. I have already activated it, but now every time i turn on my computer it pops up and asks me to activate it, i click on activate, it'll say already activated... and then log off and ask me again basically going in circles. if i say no.. it again, logs off and asks me to activate it..
i would just reformat, but i have important stuff on here, is there anyway i can get it to work again?

Korndog said:
hey guys
i have a laptop with winxp installed (legal version!) that came with the laptop. I have already activated it, but now every time i turn on my computer it pops up and asks me to activate it, i click on activate, it'll say already activated... and then log off and ask me again basically going in circles. if i say no.. it again, logs off and asks me to activate it..
i would just reformat, but i have important stuff on here, is there anyway i can get it to work again?
You may be able to start in safe mode...otherwise you could put it in a desktop computer if you have a converter.

Have you tried logging in as an administrator? If you get the welcome/login screen, press ctrl+alt+del twice and it should get you the window that will let you change usernames. Put in Administrator and your pw (default is no pw). If that doesn't work try booting in safe mode (F8 at boot) and logging in as Admin.

Last edited:
kayson said:
Have you tried logging in as an administrator? If you get the welcome/login screen, press ctrl+alt+del twice and it should get you the window that will let you change usernames. Put in Administrator and your pw (default is no pw). If that doesn't work try booting in safe mode (F7 at boot) and logging in as Admin.
F8 at boot bud :beer:

doh, forgot about safemode
i don't have a password and its already automatic login..
so theres no other way to fix it?

i had the same problem with a legal copy of windows xp, you can boot in to safe mode but without network support. i tried deleting the files for activation hoping it would then let me activate but nothing i tried worked and in the end i just formated and reinstalled windows.

i just looked up the file u were talking about, then looked into even more and found out that the file regenerates really quick after u delete it..
i'm gonna try to delete it under dos with a boot disk and see if that works..
wish me luck :)

Reboot into Safe Mode, then rename the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files located in the %systemroot%\system32 directory. This will force activation on the following boot, but should remove the message that you are already activated. Sometimes if these files get corrupted, they can cause this type of problem.

Korndog said:
i just looked up the file u were talking about, then looked into even more and found out that the file regenerates really quick after u delete it..
i'm gonna try to delete it under dos with a boot disk and see if that works..
wish me luck :)
The reason they keep coming back is they are in a different folder that is hidden pretty good. When the date changes for "Last changed" on the Windows folder, it goes through and check all the files and compares them with a "hidden folder", if one is missing, it just copies it out. I would not recommend just deleting from either the Windows or the "hidden" folder unless you know exactly what your doing ;)

whoa..
first i tried doing what redduc said, and it still popped up with the same message. then i tried the thing i had in mind, and still.. same thing..
fun thing is, both the files are gone and they didn't regenerate..

Korndog said:
whoa..
first i tried doing what redduc said, and it still popped up with the same message. then i tried the thing i had in mind, and still.. same thing..
fun thing is, both the files are gone and they didn't regenerate..
Then something is seriously messed up. You should be able to back up your files in Safe Mode, if you can, just reinstall...:beer:

Have you tried calling MS and seeing what they say? You also might be able to boot the cd and repair the windows install.

i called MS and they told me to call compaq, unfortunately my compaq's warranty is gone so all they could do for me was send a copy of the restore disk :(
guess i'll have to settle with formatting :)

Back