• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has Overclocking jumped the shark? Dell OC Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ogboot

All I have to say is... HOW RIDICULOUS.
Last I heard, Intel and AMD had a method for determining if you had overclocked your cpu and could deny replacement on those grounds.
How does Dell fit into THAT picture then? When you fry your $6000 Dell within the first 90 days from a blatant overclock are they gonna say "Sorry, that is not covered by your warranty"?
I'm not even brushing the tip of the iceberg with all the issues I have with this nonsense. We research our hardware, methodically test and retest for stability on our systems, and the processor manufacturers frown on us, then let Dell ship anyone with enough cash in their pocket a similarly engineered machine. I wonder how a warranty claim call on one of these machine's to Dell's India-based tech support line goes...

I don't think the fact that Dell is overclocking some high end stuff for outrageous prices is ridiculous as much as there are suckers people out there that will pay those outrageous prices for it. And I find it even more ridiculous that Joe C posted the exact same article for July 18 and July 19. :-/ Why post anything for July 19 if there is nothing new to look at. :rolleyes:

TTP said:
nah.. OC will have jumped the shark when Dell offers dry ice (or other xtreme) cooling. :beer:

No no no. Overclocking will have 'jumped the shark' when Dell offers every single machine they sell with a full featured bios.

Face it - that's not going to happen. To most of us overclocking is a way of stretching our dollars/pounds/francs/whatevers as far as they will go. To some few of us, overclocking is a money hole but a great hobby as we try to capture the #1 in the world 3dmark score or whatever. (this is definitely not me.)

What overclocking ISN'T to us is pre-packaged, mass-produced, and based on a flagship processor to begin with. Some of us may be buying those flagship processors to overclock, but they're more likely the extremely competitive hobbyists, and not the money stretchers.

do these systems come with the same gimped bios that the rest of dell's product line has? LOL :clap:

FYI Intel denies all responsibility for Dell-OCed CPU's. Dell has to replace them out of their own pocket.

Who says we buy these,

Throw some volts through the CPU fry it.

-Ring CS-

I'm sorry but my compter just exploded, can I get a new Processor please :D

For the prices they are charging I'm sure they can afford one or two blown chips. I feel sorry for peeps who buy Dell though :eek:

One thing is for sure. Things have come a long way since you could buy a CPU from the Egg for $42 that would overclock by 100% in the right hands ..... i.e. "low volt" T-bred B 1700.

Susquehannock said:
One thing is for sure. Things have come a long way since you could buy a CPU from the Egg for $42 that would overclock by 100% in the right hands ..... i.e. "low volt" T-bred B 1700.

hey, cellyD's did that too...

Susquehannock said:

Or the celly 300@450 that matched the high price p2 in speed or the 30/40 watt mobile athlons that kicked. Remember the lower end celerons that first had the newer coppermine core, those 600Mhz hit 900-1000Mhz easily. For video cards the original radeon LE, original radeon 9800se and first batch of geforce 6200s. Those were fun days. I've been out of the loop for a while so IDK what to get when I finally update my system

I wonder if companies will ever higher 'overclockers' as IT guys now? For the price dell charges you can get at least 2 of the same computer it seems. If I remember correctly, you can get OC'd computers on ebay and such for a fraction of what dell is charging. No warranty is there though.

Back