• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server 2008

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soichiro

My friend (EmAn ;)) is getting a copy of Windows Server 2008 beta, and we're going to test it out. We're wondering if there are any special things we need to configure in it, and what the fancy new features are. Does it have a Vista like interface? If it does, that would be kind of stupid, since most servers don't even have graphics cards, but you never know what Microsoft is thinking. :beer:

Hah, downloading it now... Though I'll be gone all week end so I won't be able to test it till monday. Meh.

well im going to recieve it tomorrow and ill be testing it on a virtual machine on scorchio's server and well see how it does!

What specs will you guys be testing it with? Mine will be...
Amd Athlon XP 2800+
GSKILL PC3200 2Gb
Dfi mobo
120Gb drive
Antec 380W Earth Watts psu
Ati 7500 64mb

Should be able to run and serve just fine... Just bought the psu to replace a dying antec smartpower2.0 pos...

Mine is:
AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.25ghz
2GB OCZ Gold DDR500
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2x 250GB drives in RAID 0
Antec 550W TruePower PSU
ATI X1950XT 256MB

It'll be running under a virtual machine, so it won't have quite as much performance and will only have access to one of the two CPU cores, but it should still give us a good idea of what this new OS is going to be like. I doubt I'll be using it on an actual server, as I'm more of a Linux guy :p but if it's good, I might play around with it for a while and see how well it works as a server, whether it works with MySQL, PHP, etc...

its got a vista like interface (excpet for AREO) i dont know if UAC is involved, but i beta'd it for a few day's and i waxed it because i was also doing exchange 2007 and went past the expiration period.

Hah, well I'd like to do linux on this server of mine but ubuntu's installer crashes the very moment it finishes... ? idk... i'd much prefer to use rd with windows instead of realnvc or something like with linux... once install this we'll see if it's even any good.

^^ exactly... if anything it would be like server 2003, a faster, more efficient XP with out any crap, but could be turned into a workstation OS easily.

Well EmAn went to go pick up the CD today and the person he was getting it from said that his son took the '08 version last night so instead he gave EmAn a copy of Server 2003 Enterprise x64!

We are currently installing everything and we will let you all know when the installation is complete and we have everything setup.

Soichiro said:
Well EmAn went to go pick up the CD today and the person he was getting it from said that his son took the '08 version last night so instead he gave EmAn a copy of Server 2003 Enterprise x64!
WTF? Come on EmAn, Ill grab my grandfathers old rifle, were going hunting :)

we are just messing around with server '03 while scorchio is downloading server '08

plus it is just a virtual machine on his system so it is not a full system installation and it can be removed whenever we feel like it but were thinking of keeping it on there as he studies for his network+ certification exam

well when the download is finished i say throw in another HD and do a full install. He'll be surprised at just how nice server 08 is.

Been running web server 08 64bit since it hit connect at the end of last month and its very nice, very fast, and not a crash yet.

Back