• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp service pack 1 or win 2000 full

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poopboypat

Ok im installing a os on an older computer about 10 years old. It will not recognize NTFS so I have had to format a drive to use Fat 32. And both install great. The problem is that I cant get XP SP2 to install, I used update, IT pro install, and finally I made a new install cd for xp with SP2 on it. The damn thing wont boot up. So I can ether have win 2000 with the latest SP or XP SP 1.

Now the user of this computer will not have a cable modem, they will have some dial up. And will be playing games like Sims and Sims 2. The graphics card is a good one so it can play the games ok. I have 768 MB of ram. 80 GB HD.
Now for performance wise of the games what would work better XP SP1 or win 2000? Both are pro versions.
And I can’t buy anything for the computer. lol

Your post has me confused. I've sucessfully installed WinXp with NTFS on an Asus P55T2P4 with 196 megs of EDO RAM and a 500 MHz K6-2+. That motherboard dates from 1996.

When you say it won't recognize NTFS, what doesn't recognize NTFS?

I think Windows 2000 is a slightly better choice for an older system. And Win2000 fully patched is certainly more secure than XP with only SP1. But I'm confused by your difficulties with both NTFS and SP1/SP2.

yes it is strange, the only way i have been able to install an os on this computer is to first remove the HD and put it in another computer. From there i install XP or 2000 on it, and then I place it in the computer i was having truble with. Then i re-install the OS so that it works in the computer.

My problems with NTFS is that if i install the os on it the computer doesnt reconize the drive, so it wont boot no mater what i do. (this is my 3rd day of installing os's to the computer)

Problem with SP2 is again after it is installed, wont boot up right. I keep getting an error that I cant get into windows. It has been very frustrating, and im near the point of just settling with SP1. Or it just keeps going into check disc and never leaves.

Ever thing about Linux/GNU? If its an older computer you don't have to worry about games, so why not? Tell me an app you can't run or find a replacement for in Linux/GNU?

Would fix your issue..

poopboypat said:
yes it is strange, the only way i have been able to install an os on this computer is to first remove the HD and put it in another computer. From there i install XP or 2000 on it, and then I place it in the computer i was having truble with. Then i re-install the OS so that it works in the computer.

My problems with NTFS is that if i install the os on it the computer doesnt reconize the drive, so it wont boot no mater what i do. (this is my 3rd day of installing os's to the computer)

Problem with SP2 is again after it is installed, wont boot up right. I keep getting an error that I cant get into windows. It has been very frustrating, and im near the point of just settling with SP1. Or it just keeps going into check disc and never leaves.

Is there no BIOS option for booting from the CDROM? If yes, what happens when you try to boot from the CDROM? Can you tell us what this computer is, or the make and model of the motherboard?

Ok, here is all the info I can find on my computer. It is up and running SP1 acctually pritty good. The person who is going to use the computer will be using dial up... And I am using a RETAIL version of windows XP pro. SP1 no VLK and windows is activated.

MB: K7 VAT rev 1.0
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/luckystar/K7VAT.htm

Chipset: Via kt133a
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/legacy/kt133a/

Bios:phoenixNet Award Bios v6.0
They arn't around anymore

Ram: 768 MB
HD: 80 GB
Graphics: ATI 9600 (AGP 4x!!!) Ya baby!!
CPU: 1Ghz AMD Thunderbird (462)

You still haven't said what happens when you try to boot from the XP CD. Does it begin to load Windows, then lock up? Problems loading Windows from the CD may be caused by a failing optical drive.

Here is a site that lists the last BIOS for the board, http://www.k7vatbios.da.ru/
They also mention a lock up issue, and have a patch.

Only upgrade the BIOS if you are confident in your ability to do so. You haven't described the problem sufficiently for me to feel confident that a BIOS update would solve it.

ok. I have done alot to get the os up and running so ill try and tell you what the problems are.

1. This problem happens no matter the file system. I but the formated drive in and boot from the CD. Computer enters setup and installs the basic files from the cd. Then the computer reboots to enter the other setup of win xp and the files wont load. No matter what i do, nothing helps.

2. Since I cant install a clean os on this no matter what i try, I have to take the drive out and put it in another computer. I install xp on it and when the install is done and i can get into the os, i take the drive out. Then I place it in the other computer and boot from CD and do a repair install of XP this works, but only if the file system is Fat 32, otherwise I get the No boot disk detected.

3. SP2 i have installed it 3 diffrent ways, all the same problem. (windows update, cd streamlined, and patch for network install) Each time it installs fine, but when it starts to load it makes check disk pop up and will scan, reboot then dump the phisical memory. Then it goes back to check disk and then repeats in a loop. And when i try and skip check disk it locks up. (cant get into safe mode.)

I think thats about it. I installed the freeze patch, and i think i have the latest bios on my computer. Im reluctent to install SP2, but i think i may to see if the freeze patch helped....

Last edited:
poopboypat said:
Then the computer reboots to enter the other setup of win xp and the files wont load. No matter what i do, nothing helps.
What do you mean "The files won't load", what SPECIFIC error does it give you?

Have you deleted the partition, created a new partition, and formatted the HD from the XP Installer?

And this is NOT a Pirated Copy of XP, Right? That can certainly cause issues with SP2.

:cool:

I think the BIOS update is worth a shot, but only if you feel you can do it safely. And check the BIOS date on the bottom of the POST screen during boot; no point trying to update it if it has the latest one already. The date for the one on the linked page is 3/20/01.

A flaky stick of RAM could cause a problem like this (corrupt installation files). Try running Memtest for a while.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more this sounds like a BIOS issue. This motherboard predates the release of Windows XP by about a year, maybe a year and a half. The BIOS apparently can handle Win2K and Win98, but has an issue with XP. My guess is you're upgrading it from Win98?

Last edited:
Back