• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exporting a folder for storage in Thunderbird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I recently got a new job and will be officially quitting my old job. I have lots of emails from my old job that I want to back up.

I just want to export the one folder, not the whole inbox. Is there a way to do this?

I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.5.

Thanks!

Are the inboxes seperated by account (each email address has own inbox)? Or are the emails from everything all dumped into one "account" inbox?

If the latter, it is not possible to take just one folder in there and export it, I believe. All the mail of an account is dumped into a single file.
If the former, just grab the files in Documents and Settings\Local Settings\App Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<insert profile>\Mail\<insert account>. Then I'd recreate the account on the new installation and replace them. I think that should work, but I've never backed up anything short of my entire profile.

if you copy the directory you can import it into Thunderbird <3 Thunderbird mainly due to the sync capabilities (its quicker than outlook due to the Large PST files having to re copy) it just copies and syncs new mail from machine to other machine with folder share quickly :)

backing up and importing the files is extremely easy just involves copying files over to another machine :) its that easy!

Back