• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micron Z9 based DDR3 blows away everything!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Wonder why Micron has been practically giving away DDR1 and DDR2 with huge rebates?

Well, the answer my friends, is their new "Z9" chips used in DDR3.

How does 7-6-5-15 timings at DDR3-1600 and DDR3-2000 at 9-8-7-18 timings (at 2.25V) sound to you? :D

Read all about it here...and start saving your pennies. OK, maybe you should start saving your extra $5s for this stuff, as it currently is pricey.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3045&p=5

Quote from article:

Fortunately for all of us, Micron did listen to what computer enthusiasts were hoping for, but they did not listen to our expected timetables. Here, about as fast as we could dream about it, Micron has introduced their new Z9 memory chips with breathtaking speeds and an almost never-ending ability to handle voltage. We don't know how Micron continues to do this memory after memory, but someone in that company certainly knows how to design enthusiast memory.

The first two new kits out of the gate are from Super Talent and TEAM Group. Comparing the two in this review showed both set new standards for speed and low latency for DDR3. Both broke the 1600 barrier at better than 7-7-7 timings, namely 7-6-5 at a moderate and easily tolerated 1.80V. Both continue on and break through DDR3-1666 at the same speed. The TEAM tops out at a new record DDR3-1900, but the Super Talent continues on to DDR3-2000 at still respectable 9-8-7-18 timings, but at a higher 2.25 volts, a voltage earlier DDR3 couldn't dream of handling. Fortunately the Micron Z9 chips seem to handle 2.25V and 2.3V just fine, as long as they are cooled a bit.

We were completely surprised by the Kingston low-latency just a few weeks ago; the Micron Z9 chips completely rewrite the enthusiast market. Unless memory companies quickly find ways to produce very fast DDR2 that runs very well on P35 boards DDR2 will quickly become second-rate memory. We hear from memory vendors that better DDR2 is on the way, but we have to wonder if these new DDR3 DIMMs that do DDR3-1600, 1666, and even DDR3-2000 with ease have not changed the memory game beyond recognition. If you are a full-blown computer enthusiast, once you see DDR3-1666 and DDR3-2000 running on the P35 you will want it, and you will not want to settle for DDR2 at 1066.

We can also think of one huge reason not to buy the new DDR3-1600 DIMMs. They are very expensive and difficult to justify strictly on a price basis. At two to three times (or even more) the price of excellent DDR2 parts they are a tough money pill to swallow. However, few computer parts offer the kind of breakthrough performance advantage we see in these new DDR3-1600 kits.

Expensive or not, the DIMMs based on the Z9 Micron chips will definitely have a profound impact on whatever memory you buy in your future. The entry price for decent but pedestrian DDR3 will drop. So will the prices of decent 1500 7-7-7 DDR3, which will be good news for new system builders or upgraders. Any memory that targets the enthusiast will have to compete effectively with the performance of these new DDR3-1600 or DDR2-2000 DIMMs or they will not sell in the market place. Every memory manufacturer trying to produce a new DDR3 memory chip has had their design requirements raised at least two-fold. If anyone else can approach the performance of Micron Z9 chips the prices will drop, and everyone will be trying to match or surpass these chips. If other chip makers can't appraoch what Micron has accomplished here, the Z9 prices will likely remain stubbornly high.

As an enthusiast you may love the performance leap the new DDR3-1600 kits have dropped on the market today, but hate the fact that you will have to lay out a lot more money for new memory to get the best. Best is so much better today that second best doesn't look that attractive. However whether you consider expensive DDR3-2000 the best thing since sliced-bread or the worst of wretched excess, your future memory purchases will be influenced by these new memory chips.

Real DDR3-1600, DDR3-1666, and DDR-2000 parts at low latencies are exciting news, but it is just the beginning. OCZ is already announcing even faster parts based on special binning of these new Micron Z9 chips. Corsair, Kingston, and every other maker of enthusiast memory will have kits based on these new chips almost instantly. Some will be better than others, and we will likely see even better performance as these new variations are introduced. The danger of course is if everyone wants these new DIMMs, the chips may be in short supply which would make them even more expensive.

Dang! Just simply awesome clocks.

Last edited:
By most accounts, the Promos based GSkills HKs is good stuff.

It just looks like no DDR2 has a chance...

I guess that its time to save up for a new mobo, too. Can't wait to see what this new Micron Z9 stuff will do on Intel next chipset...the 975 replacement.

For the price, many of us will stick to DDR2 for a while, but as prices drop and yields increase, the temptations to upgrade will be strong. :D

Very pleased to see that Team Group, my personal choice for
memory has gotten off to a quick start. The performance gain
is exciting and VERY addictive, lol. Now.....time to start a
savings account for new ram, after all, how much do we really need for those suddenly unimportant things like food, clothing
or shelter. hehehe:D

Like DDR1 and DDR2 before it, prices will adjust as supply and demand reach equilibrium.

More users will encourage manufacturers to increase production and equilibrium and price stability will be achieved. Its in the textbooks for a reason.

There will be more users because of this...with the release of Intel's X38 chipset in late Aug or early Sept, the DDR3 demand will increase because this new stuff based, on the Micron Z9 chips clocks, really, really well (did I mention that it clocks well?) and is going to just shine on that chipset.

It will be a case of the memory making the chipset look good and the chipset making the memory look even better.

alright alright...lets get it straight.

Z9 is microns ES ram ic, it isnt even full production. when it gets to full production it will be named something else.

if anyone can guess what its named, you win a cookie.

and lets just say that ddr3 wont live up to my standards until we start seeing ddr3-2000 5-5-5 or there abouts, which should be doable.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
alright alright...lets get it straight.

Z9 is microns ES ram ic, it isnt even full production. when it gets to full production it will be named something else.

if anyone can guess what its named, you win a cookie.

and lets just say that ddr3 wont live up to my standards until we start seeing ddr3-2000 5-5-5 or there abouts, which should be doable.

Are you saying that the ram tested by Anandtech, the Super Talent and Teem Xtreem (and similar stuff also available from OCZ), is being produced with ES chips, or are you just saying that the name "Z9", as used by Anandtech, is wrong?

If you have a problem with the name Z9, take it to Anandtech, as that is how they referred to the chips. You may be right about that being the ES name, I couldn't tell you, I just linked to their article. The ram they tested, however, I am pretty sure, is retail stuff.

With respect to your comments about timings, we each have our standards for acceptable performance.

For anyone interested in reading about how latencies increase, as memory clocks go up, these two linked articles give a nice discussion.

Discussion on memory timings/latencies:
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=160

How to calculate latencies:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/26

Last edited:
OCZ never ever uses the term Z9 in their post about micron. the name Z9 is their ES name i can guarentee it because microns standard name for ANY BGA IC is D9, so that will be the final name that we see.

and in your argument about ddr2-1150 5-3-3-11 and ddr1-600 2.5-3-2-6, you are forgettting something huge, ddr3 and ddr2 would more then likely not be able to run 1t at those speeds where as you could run 1t at ddr1-600, loosen to 2.5-3-3-6, which if i recall more then a couple of tccd sets did back in the day.

and im talking max speeds, like how we have seen ddr2-1400 4-4-4,, max we saw for ddr1 2-2-2 was around ddr1-600 with 2x512mb, i suppose ddr3-2000 5-5-5 might be too tight, 6-6-6 should be better.

ddr3-2000 5-5-5 for 24/7 isnt a reality for the time being now, but you never know what the future will bring.

and right now the only ocz that available is the stuff that uses non micron ic's. i dont think you can buy any of their good stuff yet retail.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
OCZ never ever uses the term Z9 in their post about micron. the name Z9 is their ES name i can guarentee it because microns standard name for ANY BGA IC is D9, so that will be the final name that we see.

and in your argument about ddr2-1150 5-3-3-11 and ddr1-600 2.5-3-2-6, you are forgettting something huge, ddr3 and ddr2 would more then likely not be able to run 1t at those speeds where as you could run 1t at ddr1-600, loosen to 2.5-3-3-6, which if i recall more then a couple of tccd sets did back in the day.

and im talking max speeds, like how we have seen ddr2-1400 4-4-4,, max we saw for ddr1 2-2-2 was around ddr1-600 with 2x512mb, i suppose ddr3-2000 5-5-5 might be too tight, 6-6-6 should be better.

ddr3-2000 5-5-5 for 24/7 isnt a reality for the time being now, but you never know what the future will bring.

and right now the only ocz that available is the stuff that uses non micron ic's. i dont think you can buy any of their good stuff yet retail.

Posted by Tony over at XS

Nice batch of Micron ddr3 in at OCZ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some early tests back at the lab by the boys...looking good for the 1600EB we just released.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151922

Your are correct in that Tony never calls them Z9s, but "just released" and "Micron chips" are terms used by Tony in that thread (and title), and that is what led me to conclude that they are in fact using these chips. I may very well be wrong, but that is what I used as the basis of my post.

As far as the name Z9...Micron never officially named their early D9 chips "fatbodies", either, but you and I did. And for the longest time, people just referred to them as "D9s" when, as you have noted, all their BGA ICs are D9. The term Z9 may only be an ES term and I have no doubts that you are correct in that it will not be the official designation for them at Micron. It is, however, how they are being referred to for now, at least in the article that I quoted. Do you have a more proper name for them? I really don't understand the issue?

As far as the 1T or 2T, very little TCCD ran 300 MHz with 2.5-3-3-6 and 1T. Not saying it wasn't done, but it sure wasn't the norm, or all that common, given the number of TCCD modules that were out there. Did it happen...yes, but was it common? No way.

I don't think that there are errors in my post, but for some reason, you have taken exception to it. I edited my previous post (evidently just at about the same time you were posting yours) , because I decided that things were taking a turn for the worse and that was not really my intent.

Super Talent and TEAM Group did a great job getting these two new fast DDR3-1600 kits to market. You will now see a flood of memory announced that will feature memory performance specifications we only dreamed of a few short weeks ago. The real winner in this round, of course, is Micron ... and you!

Sure looks like retail production has started. They may not be available right now, as they work thru the distribution channels, but it sure looks like more than simply ES samples to me.

Don't know what to say, other than I've based my comments on what Anandtech (and OCZ...remember..."just released") are saying.

im sorry as well, i might have over-reacted over it, but my intention of posting was just to say that what we are seeing right now is ES ic's from micron, or thats atleast what i'm hearing and that we have a long way to go before we see what Microns DDR3 IC's can really do.

and I had a friend who whenever i called D9's D9 fatties he'd get really mad and he forced me into calling them D9DQT or D9DCW or whatever it was, but thats a different thing all together.

and there are somewhat proper names, you could really call it MT41J128M8BY-187E or its corresponding name.

either way though, its a sure fact that Micron will be a force in DDR3, and if this is what the ES chips do, i cant wait to see what matured Micron does.

Back