• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest errors + Idiot noob = Help me please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raptrmastr

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me out. Here's the story. I had noticed that my power supply (480 watt antec) had a short. I'd press the power button and my computer would not power up. popped the case open and brushed a bundle of wires and all of a sudden it turns on. Well against my better judgment I powered it on for the next 3 months in this same manner. I've gotten the BSOD a few times now and had to reinstall windows on several occasions as well due to boot disk errors. So I finally bought a new one (listed in my sig) hoping this would solve my problem. It's a nice looking unit but my computer still won't boot 100% of the time. Ok so I replaced the DFI NF4 Lan party ultra-d with the asus A8N in my sig. Still having the same problems. Tried with one stick of OCZ ram and noticed slightly more stability. Then I decided to run memtest. Got errors in test number 4,6,7 and 8 and it crashed everytime just before it finished up test 6. Did this for both sticks individually and as a pair. So I grabbed a 512 stick that I knew was good. Same errors. Next I tried one of the sticks of OCZ in another computer, low and behold, no errors :-/ So then I swapped out the processor with a brand new opteron. That didn't work either. BTW at the same time I upgraded my graphics card to the one below in my sig which has ddr2 onboard. Would that be in conflict with my MB as it uses ddr?

I have no clue what to do next. Does anyone have a clue what is causing these errors? or how I should go about figuring this out?

Try increasing memory voltage, set memory timings manually, set divider manually then run memtest.

I guess I should have mentioned I've already tried upping the voltage as well as manually setting the timings at stock speed 3 3 3 8 as well as loosing them up a bit. The latter along with a little extra voltage actually did decrease the errors a tinny bit. Still getting well over 500 errors during part 6 of the test.

this may not make any sense but i just updated the bios on one of my back up rigs because of much the same...and it worked lol.i couldnt get any of 6 dif modules to pass memtest in the mb but after the flash they pass overnight without a hitch.might be worth a try at least.

That makes perfect sense. I haven't had much of a chance to work on the problem this last week but am hoping to get to it this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thank you everyone for your input.:D

It works!
I put the DFI mobo back in and flashed the bios to the 0704-2bta. Low and behold it passed memtest w/o a hitch. I'll try it later with the asus. :)

I'm not sure, given the information you posted, if this relates to you or not but try turning off "legacy usb support". I kept getting memtest errors over and over and through hours of searching I found out about that setting, I turned it off and since then everything has been peachy.

raptrmastr said:
Thanks for that kbtat. I'll give it a go.
On the A8N32 you have to disable "Legacy USB Support" to pass memtest.

And while you're at it disable "Peg Link Mode" too.

Back