• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Locked myself out of my laptop...(WinXP Domain login)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Springbok

By switching from Domain to Workgroup in an attempt to get my school computer onto my home network, I effectively locked myself out of my laptop. When I enter my username and password at the login screen, it just tells me it's wrong and won't let me into Windows! I've tried safe mode and last known good configuration, but neither of those work. Anyone know a quick fix for this?

Can't you select "Login to this computer" Or use your Administrator account?

Domain logins don't use the Welcome screen, so you should be able to change the logon location to the local computer and use the default Administrator account.

I don't have any choice of what I want to login to, just username & password. It's technically the school's computer for warranty reasons, so I don't want to try crack the admin password.

well u need a local account password to log on....admin would be ur best bet.

I think you are SOL. Best bet is take it back to the school helpdesk and let them fix it. When you removed it from the domain (school) you took out any ability to login as the only account you had was on that domain.

That or go with resetting the local admin account.

All I needed was the admin password, I got our support guy to fix it for me. Thanks for the help guys!

Back