• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 to be released in 3 years.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember when they announced project singularity two years ago. There was a post on the forums with the press announcement..everyone kind of scratched their heads at why MS started another OS while Vista wasn't even done yet.

it'll never happen, not until at least 2015 !!! vista was 3 years late and thats still s**t in my opinion... i think they should stop releasing brand new versions everytime and spend more time improving existing OS's such as Service packs for vista to improve it..

asusradeon said:
it'll never happen, not until at least 2015 !!! vista was 3 years late and thats still s**t in my opinion... i think they should stop releasing brand new versions everytime and spend more time improving existing OS's such as Service packs for vista to improve it..
What is specifically wrong with Vista??? I've had no issues on my laptop and I love it. I've seen MOST of the problems in Vista are drivers...I may be wrong here, but that is what I've concluded :beer:

thideras said:
What is specifically wrong with Vista??? I've had no issues on my laptop and I love it. I've seen MOST of the problems in Vista are drivers...I may be wrong here, but that is what I've concluded :beer:

thats just my opinion that ive concluded from reading reviews etc.. on the internet, its probably the drivers that cause the problems then....

asusradeon said:
thats just my opinion that ive concluded from reading reviews etc.. on the internet, its probably the drivers that cause the problems then....
Except UAC...I will agree that totally sucks...

/ontopic

The drivers issues are being resolved pretty fast now that every comp u buy comes with vista. I have yet to have any driver issues here. Vista 64 is just stellar.

As for UAC i think it sucks for power users yes but considering you can easily turn it off i have no problems with it. I do feel as though it is very good for the everyday joe blow that has no clue what he is doing on a computer and just clicks on everything. At least with UAC he will be warned and that could actually help him out a bit.

I also have no problem with M$ releasing OS. If they can get it done than I'm all for it. I'm all for technology moving forward.

With the amount of people there i would think they could do vista maintenance and a new OS simultaneously.

Jacobman said:
Leaky ship?

As for UAC i think it sucks for power users yes but considering you can easily turn it off i have no problems with it. I do feel as though it is very good for the everyday joe blow that has no clue what he is doing on a computer and just clicks on everything. At least with UAC he will be warned and that could actually help him out a bit.
It would be better if it worked (for instance, didn't allow interwindow messaging from less privs to more -- oops)...and by the way, "power users" are typically the worst security offenders I know. ;)

Now, if they did *real* privilege isolation, like sudo, life would be good.

Captain Newbie said:
Now, if they did *real* privilege isolation, like sudo, life would be good.
Aggghh. Exactly. I hate Window's "run as" - it doesn't really elevate the permissions, but just installs it using the alternate account. This creates annoying issues due to subsequent ownership of the installed files belonging to admin, not the actual user. :bang head Of course I can go change the ownership and manually edit registry settings and more crap like that, but it's seriously annoying - another reason I why I still run as admin on Windows.

This is actually old news I believe. Both Windows Vienna (AKA "7"), and Fuji have been talked about for the past year now and both have estimated shipping dates. Still though I think Microsoft showed on Vista that they are not to set on meeting those dates.

NTFS, rince and repeat. Yeah NTFS version 7. Sounds really peachy.

Windows is like kungfu on a dead horse. You can do all the fancy moves you want. That horse is not going anywhere though. \\
When the heck are they going to do something fun. Like a new file system. Keeping a file system that has been around since 1993 it not innovative. It will keep all the legacy issues of days gone by.

It has been a long time since they put out something honestly new. It is good to see they might be back on the regular releases though.

we'll have to wait and see what feeatures they say they are going to put in..

aka features to get people excited that they are too stupidto actually implement and therefore arn't released...

IMHO, i think that microsoft, apple and some linux guys should all get together settle there differences and develop a FS that they all can use.. this would be fantastic for the linux community and people who are forced to use windows for work etc.. I know that inorder for something like this to happen there would have to be some significant advantage for microsoft but thats what it think in a perfect world would be great.... i suppose the main problem would be people arguing over the rights to it etc....

Fuji is SP1 IIRC. I dont see why people are crapping themselfs over a 3 years turnover with a M$ OS. They are just getting back to thier previous release schedule. XP was the flagship Windows for way too long, and people got used to that. XP is old... but if you want stable and mature, many people still swear by Windows 2000.

More frequent versions of Windows means more innovation. M$ will not ship a new OS unless there is something new and different about it. Vista is just fine, better than XP IMO, if you want to wait 6 years for Vista to become as mature as XP... go right ahead.

Oroka Sempai said:
Fuji is SP1 IIRC. I dont see why people are crapping themselfs over a 3 years turnover with a M$ OS. They are just getting back to thier previous release schedule. XP was the flagship Windows for way too long, and people got used to that. XP is old... but if you want stable and mature, many people still swear by Windows 2000.

More frequent versions of Windows means more innovation. M$ will not ship a new OS unless there is something new and different about it. Vista is just fine, better than XP IMO, if you want to wait 6 years for Vista to become as mature as XP... go right ahead.
Ya, remember when M$ released a new OS every 2-3 years? Then XP came along and lasted 6. And its 3 YEARS. They probably are going to still release fixes for Vista.

I am going to stick with XP like I did with 98se, until drivers are no longer made for it(I finally went to XP in the spring of 2005).

Back