• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird problems in XP! [proggies closing down]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krome

Just like the title says, I'm having big time problems w/ a computer that's running XP Home SP2.

I've already ran spybot/hijack this/AVG [turns off]/killbot/SmitFraud. It literally took me several hours just to install AVG, since it would close itself during the install.

I've tried running in Safe mode, and explorer.exe won't come up most of the time. IDK what to do, or how to update/run AVG to see if I can get whatever bug is doing this.

Internet explorer doesn't work either, I've failed to get it to open even 1x.

Thanks in advance......

Try performing a System Restore from the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" option in the Advanced Options menu. You'll need to log on as the administrator, or a user that has administrative rights. At the command prompt, type...

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

...then just follow the instructions on the screen. If you're unable to perform a System Restore for whatever reason, try performing a repair install...

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I should have mentioned that I already did chkdsk /p, and chkdsk /r in the recovery console.

I'm, gonna try the "safe mode w/ command prompt" option.

Krome said:
I should have mentioned that I already did chkdsk /p, and chkdsk /r in the recovery console.

I'm, gonna try the "safe mode w/ command prompt" option.
Failing that, a repair install sounds good as far as getting the system stable enough to recover the stuff you care about. You are, however, in nuke-from-orbit territory.

If you can't repair or sys-restore it, try booting from a Linux liveCD to grab the stuff that's important to you, and nuke the box.

I was thinkin' about the format from the get go, but my pal just doesn't want to do it. Repair install in progress.......

I did the repair install, and it's still shutting down AVG. I noticed that when I tried "safe mode w/ console" that it said.... C:Documents and settings/"friend's name.-aqutois723:"

I thought it's supposed to say "c:"

I ended up writing zeros to the drive, and re-installing the OS. The weird thing is that when I was saving all of the personal data to my external HDD, I would get a message saying "something attached to the file is non-transferable, the original file will not be changed."

That was a strange one, thanks for the advice anyway. :beer:

Back