• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Option to repair existing installation missing on slipstreamed (WinXP w/ SP2) CD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

Option to repair existing installation missing on slipstreamed (WinXP w/ SP2) CD?

I was playing around with MS Virtual PC 2007, seeing how easily I could screw up an installation of WinXP in a "contained" environment, and after rendering it unbootable (within minutes) I was going to repair the installation using the recovery console from the Windows CD. However, when I booted up from my slipstreamed WinXP w/ SP2 disk (the same one I used to install the OS on the virtual machine), even though it detected my installation of Windows, it did not list the "R" option to repair the installation. After doing a few Google searches, I got the idea that it might be related to the fact that the CD was slipstreamed. So I then booted up from a vanilla Windows XP CD, and sure enough the repair option was there!

I am curious: Do those of you who have slipstreamed WinXP w/ SP2 CDs have the repair option when you boot from the CD? If not, I guess that the slipstream process does something to the boot files that removes that option. Otherwise, I must have done something screwy when I made my slipstreamed disk. If you are unsure whether your disk gives you that option and you are curious, it would be much appreciated if you could test it out and let me know what you find. Thanks in advance!

KillrBuckeye said:
I was playing around with MS Virtual PC 2007, seeing how easily I could screw up an installation of WinXP in a "contained" environment, and after rendering it unbootable (within minutes) I was going to repair the installation using the recovery console from the Windows CD. However, when I booted up from my slipstreamed WinXP w/ SP2 disk (the same one I used to install the OS on the virtual machine), even though it detected my installation of Windows, it did not list the "R" option to repair the installation. After doing a few Google searches, I got the idea that it might be related to the fact that the CD was slipstreamed. So I then booted up from a vanilla Windows XP CD, and sure enough the repair option was there!

I am curious: Do those of you who have slipstreamed WinXP w/ SP2 CDs have the repair option when you boot from the CD? If not, I guess that the slipstream process does something to the boot files that removes that option. Otherwise, I must have done something screwy when I made my slipstreamed disk. If you are unsure whether your disk gives you that option and you are curious, it would be much appreciated if you could test it out and let me know what you find. Thanks in advance!

When the repair installation hotkey is not visible, or it does not let you do it then windows is not reading any problems IIRC. It's not the slipstream I believe. I've had the same problem with my installs too and its awkward.

ps2cho said:
When the repair installation hotkey is not visible, or it does not let you do it then windows is not reading any problems IIRC. It's not the slipstream I believe. I've had the same problem with my installs too and its awkward.
But that doesn't explain why the slipstreamed disk didn't give me the repair option, and then on the subsequent reboot with the vanilla XP disk, it was there. The state of the OS didn't change at all between reboots.

Know Nuttin said:
I use a slipstreamed XP with SP2 disc (created myself manually, no nlite or other programs used) and I have the repair option.
Interesting... I created my disk using a combination of nLite and manual methods. I wonder where in the slipstreaming process this option gets turned on or off.

Back