• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I make the welcome screen show after screensaver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jayws

[Resolved] How can I make the welcome screen show after screensaver?

I recently reformated my crappy windows drive after 2 years of degredation, and now of course I'm having problems after a fresh start.

I want to know how to make the welcome screen show when the screensaver is deactivated, I have password protect enabled, fast user switching, etc but it wont do this. It simply shows a prompt instead.

I have Win XP SP2 w/ the most recent updates. Only 1 account active, when I make a 2nd account I can see an option to show the welcome screen in display > screensaver but I want it to show without this 2nd account. Also, the admin acct used to show up in control panel > users but NOT on the welcome screen. This is the way I liked it but now it's hidden in the users window.

Bah.

Last edited:
Right-click the desktop-> Properties -> Screen Saver tab -> cehck the box that says "On resume, password protect".

Are you using the welcome screen? It can be turned on or off in the user account settings, make sure it is on.

Are you running on the default Administrator account? Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, though.

I am going to list a few fixes. Some are complex. Some asre easy.. Find which one works best for you. I am just providing what I would do, not in any special order. since I have little to go on here.

The fastest and easiest way s to just do a repair install and be done with it. You will not lose any data doing so if done correclty. it wil lrevert all files and services to default settings. You may have to reupdate your install afterwards.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If Fast User Switching is turned off or corrupted. It will skip past the Login Prompt. TweakUI will also modify the way the machine boots. I assume you turned fast user off though or a dependant service. (terminal Servies/RPC)

--------

TweakUI- Logon | Expand to see if any work for you.

--------

If you have Home edition set a password for the admin account. Since by default it does not give one. you cna disavble the Fast user and renable it to make sure it is set correctly.

--------

To get the Admin back on the Welcome boot. If all esle fails.

Use this part below at your own risk. This is sort of advanced stuff and I am just relaying how to do it. If you need more information post up. I assume you understand how to do this.

Start | Run | Regedit :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Winlogon

Value Name: LogonType Data
Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = Classic Mode, 1 = Welcome Screen)
Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'LogonType' and edit the value according to the
settings below.
Reboot See if it corrects the issue.

To add users manually:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Winlogon | SpecialAccounts | UserList

Create a value for the users you want to list (using the Username yopu want), and set the value to 1.

-----------

Other options are :
Screen Saver Is Not Password-Protected When You Apply the "Password Protect the Screen Saver" Group Policy Setting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815424/en-us

-----------

Re-register the fast user service manually.

In 'Run' type ..
regsvr32 Shsvcs.dll
Hit Enter and it should show a dialog that is was registered.

This is what controls the fast user service actually. It may be corrrupted.

-----------

You can do a repair install and it will fix and corrupted files and keep your data intact. Long as you have your original XP disk. I am unsure if you have HOME PRo SP1/2 if any. There is some issues with pirated copies that they accidently strip some features. It is a poorly crafted version actually if that is the case.

Last edited:
You have to have a password set to the user account you're using. If there isn't a password on the account, then it will bypass the welcome screen sometimes.

To keep my reply short, I've tried all of the information here short of a repair install...

I'm going to give sfc a try...

Wow ok, so after giving up on this I came across the answer one day! I was trying to use a program that requires the Mircosuck .Net Framework, after installing this there is an invisible ASP account present that changed the option in Display > Screen Saver > Password Protect, to 'Show Welcome Screen'.

Just in case anyone cares to know.

Back