• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP 64-bit problem, help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xbiker321

Currently have Windows XP 64-bit installed on:

.Q6600 @ stock speeds
.4gb of DDR2-800 Ballistix @ stock speeds
.xfx 680iA+ edition motherboard
.Two Geforce 8800ultra's (SLI) @ stock speeds
.850watt Roswill PSU
.Maxtor 500gb sata2
.sata dvd burner

Windows sometimes hits a slow down.
I only installed Gothic 3 and Oblivion and they freeze in the game no more than 5 minutes into playing.
Any ideas would help, Im stuck in a brainfart right now.

Is this a new install of windows? How are your vid card temps? 2 ultras in sli in Iraq.... probably overheating.

lol, nah, the computer is in an air conditioned trailer so overheating isnt likely.

Fresh install of Windows XP 64-bit. The temps on the video card sure boggled me though, they were around 80*C while the CPU and chipset were fine, around 40*C. I just assumed they run hott. I have a big 120mm fan blowing on them as well. Also I thought if it began to overheat you would see broken colors everywhere like if you were to overclock it beyond its limit.

80C seems pretty darn hot; you may want to make sure that the HSF on your GPU is seated correctly/has TIM. An overheated video card can cause system locking or instability without necessarily creating artifacts.

Grab a DMM and check your 12V rails while the game is running. I'm still not all that confident of Roswill PSUs...

Last edited:
Installed Windows XP Pro (32-bit) still having same problems, Going to investigate temps and voltages...

Newest version of orthos will work for a quad test. Prime95 will work as well. Might want to try installing 3d mark 06, or some other games and run those for a while.

Back